Sign in with
Your question

Memoryissue with Asus Z87 Expert

Last response: in Motherboards
September 4, 2013 1:29:29 PM

Good evening and thank you for dropping by. Have a few questions I hope someone here can provide the answers to.

Bought a new system not long ago, Asus Z87 Expert with 4770k and 16gb(8x2) Kingston HyperX (KHX16C10B1RK2/16X). After installing everything I eagerly pressed the power-button and was met with a "55" on the onboard LCD, indicating "memory not installed". After trying a few things as recommend in the manual and not finding the sticks I bought on the Asus QVL list, I decided to return the Kingston sticks and order a new pair that was on the QVL, 16gb(4x4)Corsair Vengance (CML16GX3M4X1600C8).
Installed the new sticks and was again met with a "55" on the onboard LCD. Tried what I should have tried with the first sticks, placing one single in the memory-slot and to my great relief I had my first boot, but LCD displaying "51"(Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed). Went on to test all 4 sticks separately one at a time and got boot with all, still with "51" on the LCD. I then went on to test each slot separately and got boot on B1 and B2, but not A1 and A2. And here comes the questions:

Am I even supposed to be able to get a boot with a stick in A1 or A2?(The manual indicates B is the correct location for a single stick)

I suppose manually setting timings in BIOS is a worthy try, however I know way too little about memory-settings to fiddle around in there. Already tried setting the basic 4 values(8-8-8-24) and voltage to 1.5, but this didn't help. Any suggestions for values I should try?

Other than that, any input at all is much appreciated :) 

edit - BIOS-update removed "51"(Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed) when one stick is installed, but any more than one stick results in "55"(memory not installed).
a c 883 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1662 V Motherboard
September 4, 2013 7:52:25 PM

Go into the BIOS with a single stick, enable XMP, select Profile 1 then add a second stick in the preferred slot (would normally be A1 and B1) and try that, if good try all 4
September 5, 2013 6:17:41 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Go into the BIOS with a single stick, enable XMP, select Profile 1 then add a second stick in the preferred slot (would normally be A1 and B1) and try that, if good try all 4

Thank you for the suggestion, unfortunately it results in a "55"(Memory not installed) with 2 sticks installed in B2+A2 as indicated by manual(Again tho, good POST with one stick).
Related resources
a c 883 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1662 V Motherboard
September 5, 2013 8:16:33 AM

Might check CPU and socket, possible bent/broken pins or maybe just a bad mobo DRAM slot
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 99 V Motherboard
September 5, 2013 9:44:04 AM

Tradesman1 said:
Might check CPU and socket, possible bent/broken pins or maybe just a bad mobo DRAM slot

This. Check the CPU socket for broken/bent pins.
!