future viability of setup plus motherboard OC concerns

Dunt Shomyname

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
recently built budget gaming rig. specs...

amd fx-4350 OCed to 4.8ghz liquid cooled max temp 52c stress

8gb crucial ballistics 1600 ram (seems to do the trick but will eventually want 16gb 1866 or 32gb 1600 for virtual machines used for networking/pen test lab)

HIS Iceq radeon 7870 x2 crossfirex

Asrock 990fx extreme3 motherboard

The OC is relatively stable haven't had a crash yet but fails prime95 large ftts and passes small ftts, occt, IBT, and HCI memtest is this ok (also windows 7 little jumpy on start up)?:??: I feel like it is a voltage issue. voltage set to 1.465 with llc on the voltage is typically at 1.366v during stress test.

I feel like I messed up with the motherboard the 4+1 power cycles are weak for overclocking the 4350 and will definitely not handle the higher end AM3+ chips when it comes time to upgrade.
The board goes into emergency override when trying to clock over 4.8ghz the vrms just cant handle anything over 1.36v at 4.8ghz or it starts dropping the multiplier down to 7x:fou:.

So....Should I sell the motherboard and go with the asrock 990fx extreme9 with its 12+1 power cycles I know I can get the 4350 up to 5ghz plus with that? is there even much performance to be gained?
also I would like the extra power for when I need to upgrade for gaming, im pretty sure the OCed 4350 can easily handle whats out there now but will need to upgrade at some point.

O k this last part is a bit speculative but what do any of you think the future for this kind of rig is? will I be gaming in style at 60fps on next gen/future games for say 5 yrs? If I am not able to keep up, will the AM3+ have anything to offer as an upgrade or do you guys think it will be quickly replaced with no options after the current piledriver/vishera CPU's? If so I may keep current board and wait for next socket..or go intel :( when i start to lag

Thanks for any help even far out there opinions!!!

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
i don't think there is a future proof system that will max out games at 60 fps for any more than 3 years time and that would be an expensive system to build and to run power wise,
I don't think its worth upgrading your motherboard for 200mhz speed the performance gain towards money spent is not worth it in my opinion unless you upgrade your cpu also, if your working the power phase control so hard your seriously killing the lifespan of your motherboard you should try having a 4,5ghz overclock and benchmark performance then try 4.6ghz benchmark and so on and just see what are the real gains you are getting by pushing the extra 100mhz each time and is it really worth over stressing the hardware

Dunt Shomyname

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
That all sounds reasonable. I Also have a 4.6Ghz profile that's 100% stable I will be using it for gaming until I hit a point where i'm running into play ability Issues. BTW none of the OC's are 24/7 I typically run at stock when doing school work and productivity tasks.

As far as the motherboard goes I think you are also right. I'll Just wait until it comes time to upgrade the CPU. Try to make it through the stretch until AMD's next socket and hope they get better with processing and power efficiency as well as prices staying low (pipe-dreaming!) or swap over to Intel which ever is the most feasible.

Thanks for the advice!