Should I really be concerned with this socket temp?

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I'm overclocking an AMD FX-8350 with an Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 MB. I also have a CoolerMaster Seidon 120M to replace the stock cooler for the CPU. I've overclocked to 4.4 GHz, but when I stress test on Prime95 I notice that my socket temps get up to about 68 degrees. The core hits no higher than maybe 48-50, however.

I've done a lot of reading and I know that most people go with the core temps as that's the more critical one, but should I be concerned with the higher socket temp?

As an FYI, I'm using CoreTemp, HWMonitor, and SpeedFan to monitor the temps.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
is it hwmonitor thats showing you the high socket temp? it does seem a high reading im not sure whether its one to worry about or not to be honest but as you already know the core temp of your cpu is well within its limits so it seems as easy as saying your fine,
as a precaution what i would do is remount the cpu cooler and fresh install all your temp monitoring software recheck the temps,
as long as your core temp stays the same id be inclined to ignore the high socket temp as a fault with the temp probe maybe also have you got asus alsuiteIII (i know its got bad reputation) it would be worth checking its reading of it

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks for the info. I'll do the remount and reinstall of software. As far as the socket temp, it is being reported by SpeedFan, WHMonitor, and AISuite II as the same. I guess it is always possible that the sensor may not be correct. My case is an NZXT Source 210 window and while this one probe is reading hot, every other sensor I've got shows absolutely no heat build up inside. My HD, GPU, and other temp sensors inside seem to stay within reasonable limits. Plus, I've installed every fan I could in the case and run them at high speeds, so the inside is a wind tunnel. The only thing I haven't done yet is cut the "cheese graters" off my case yet and install some fan guards so I can get a better, more quiet air flow.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
cool well everything points towards a bad temp sensor in my opinion, i would just keep the core temp under check ive never seen alsuiteII or III and hwmonitor and speedfan all report the same temp except on actual core temp so thats why most people except this as an definitive reading, i only asked about hwmonitor as at the moment i have an issue where hwmonitor shows no change in socket temp even under full load for me so maybe an issue with asus who knows

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I haven't had that many issues with HWMonitor but I know speedfan reports one of my sensors as -128C. I've got pretty good airflow in the case but I don't think it's THAT good!

I figured my temps were okay but I'm glad to be able to bounce it off someone else just to get another opinion.