New PC Builder, need advice on my build.

Garret Wood

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, and I just wanted to say hi :)

I am a new PC builder and looking to build my first PC for mainly gaming, surfing the web, and watching netflix. Found this on another forum and figured it would be a good Q and A so you could get to know a little more about what I am wanting. I am debating between an i5 and i7, but with the processor+mobo combo going on right now at Microcenter I might be leaning to an i7, and thus will push the budget to around 900. I am not sure if I need a cooler or not with this build, as I don't plan to overclock.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1A3Z2

Budget: $800-900(give or take a few dollars)

Primary Use: Moderate/Heavy Gaming

Games Played/To Be Played: Games I play are Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Battlefield 3, and Skyrim

Currency: USD

Experience building PCs: None

Extra information: I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

When are you buying parts?: I plan to buy parts within the next month or so.

Do you need an OS?: No, I will be running on Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64 bit.

Preferred website for purchase: www.newegg.com

Overclocking?: No.

Why are you upgrading?: I currently have a laptop. It works alright for gaming, but I'd like a desktop with better gaming capabilities.

The motrherboard is fine. The reason I suggested that PSU is because of your graphics card and having enough power supply for it plus a little headroom. You don't want to be gaming and suddenly when the Graphics get intense you start having problems because there wasn't enough to the card for the extra. I have been in that situation. I had a PSU that was the Minimum for the card ( 18a on the +12v Rail ). When the graphics got intense, I started having problems as the Minimum of 18a on the rail wasn't enough.