Sign in with
Your question
Solved

BSOD and now computer won't start

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
September 4, 2013 5:40:08 PM

Here is my background:

I recently built my first computer, installed windows 7 and everything was off to a great start. Approximately two days later I was playing a game when the video got choppy then shortly thereafter I got a BSOD. Unfortunately I didn't really know what was happening so I didn't write down any of the error codes.

After that I tried turning it back on and started, but BSOD again. Again, didn't think to write down the codes. Tried a third time and same result. Then, I tried turning it on and nothing displayed; the monitor didn't pick up anything.

This was my build at the time:

AMD FX-6100 3300Mhz 14MB 95W
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P
Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (PX38G1600C11)
Cooler Master RS450-ACAAD3-US GX Series ATX Power Supply
EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+ from like 4 years ago (my friend had it laying around and gave it to me, it is a 528MB card)

When this all went haywire I assumed it was the graphics card so I ordered a new one. That card is:

EVGA GeForce GTX 650

The new card didn't change the result. When I try to turn it on I don't even get the motherboard screen.

Any thoughts/ideas/tips/help would be greatly appreciated!

More about : bsod computer start

a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2013 6:02:03 PM

Power off, reset the CMOS jumper pin or pop the battery out, 10 min & reboot.
m
l
September 4, 2013 6:32:46 PM

ur6beersaway said:
Power off, reset the CMOS jumper pin or pop the battery out, 10 min & reboot.

I did as you instructed and unfortunately there is no change.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 4, 2013 6:46:33 PM

Thank you, That psu is cutting it close, but it's new.

RAM test=http://www.memtest.org/ burn a disk & run

how many sticks?
m
l
September 4, 2013 6:54:56 PM

ur6beersaway said:
Thank you, That psu is cutting it close, but it's new.

RAM test=http://www.memtest.org/ burn a disk & run

how many sticks?

Just one stick right now. Will I be able to run memtest if I can't even get to the motherboard screen?
m
l
September 5, 2013 5:45:15 AM

ur6beersaway said:
I don't think so.

these would be a great replacement if your stick fails, you have dual channel, they go in the white slots on your mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm hoping nothing is FUBAR right now but I don't like my chances. I'm ordering a POST test main board diagnostic analyzer card which will hopefully give more clarity on the underlying issue. It arrives Saturday so until then I'll just be patient.
m
l
September 5, 2013 7:00:59 AM

The first error code 0x00000A, A was the end, not 8. I forgot I wrote down the first code
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 5, 2013 9:44:37 AM

•The first parameter of the Stop error is "0x0000008". (This error is a double-fault exception.)

Suggested remedy is flash bios update, what is the revision # printed on your board?
( after the model#)
m
l
September 5, 2013 3:21:20 PM

ur6beersaway said:
•The first parameter of the Stop error is "0x0000008". (This error is a double-fault exception.)

Suggested remedy is flash bios update, what is the revision # printed on your board?
( after the model#)

Revision # is 1.0
m
l
September 7, 2013 10:09:01 PM

Here's my update. I got a mini mobo speaker and a POST analyzer card. When I have everything plugged in as normal, the post card displays 50 and 84. The speaker remains silent (I did pull out the ram to make sure it worked).

I read somewhere that Gigabyte uses AMI for POST codes in which case the two codes mean this:
50: The memory below 1 MB has been tested and initialized. Adjusting the displayed memory size for relocation and shadowing next.

84: Locked key checking is over. Checking for a memory size mismatch with CMOS RAM data next.

Any ideas on what this means?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
September 7, 2013 10:20:56 PM

Still won,t post? most likely RAM is shot, or the mobo memory controller (rare).these would be a great replacement if your stick fails, you have dual channel, they go in the white slots on your mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
September 9, 2013 7:19:48 AM

I ordered new RAM that will get here Wednesday. I'll update after trying that.
m
l
September 11, 2013 4:07:02 PM

Alright so the RAM came and I put it in. I got POST. Now windows isn't starting normally so I'm going to reinstall windows then install the drivers and whatnot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2013 5:34:43 PM

That sounds good, What bois version does it show?
m
l
September 11, 2013 5:39:16 PM

ur6beersaway said:
That sounds good, What bois version does it show?

BIOS version is F1, 4/8/2013
m
l
September 11, 2013 5:43:43 PM

I've updated all the drivers and I'm about to do a Windows update. Thanks for all the help, its greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 11, 2013 5:52:59 PM

Thank you..enjoy
m
l
!