PC wont startup

toshibitsu

Distinguished
Hello,

I recently traded my laptop for a desktop with someone off of craigslist. The system has been working fine the past few weeks I've had it up until this morning. I turned it on and it rebooted several times on its own, then went to a windows recovery screen stating that windows was unable to start & asking if I want to do a restore.
I don't have a restore point to go back to. Also, there were never any beeps & no weird "grinding" sounds coming from the hard drive. Protection wise, I had Avast installed & Windows Firewall on. OS is Windows 7 Pro.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

lakerpt

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
if no part has been changed, it can be some kind of bad sector issue
at work I usually use HDD Regenerator to scan and fix bad sectors, but since it's paid I dunno if it is on your interest to spend it, because it can be other thing.
Try hiren's boot disk to find any program that can check your disk for bad sectors
have you tried F8 during startup to try and enter safemode? sometimes if it is a driver issue, entering safemode and restarting to normal can also solve some issues.

toshibitsu

Distinguished

Unfortunately, its the only actual PC I have at the moment so can't take out the HD to test on another machine. I did try doing F8 but it brought me to a screen asking which device I want to boot from. There's 2 HD's in the system. The primary one(with the OS installed) is a 500gb WD 2.5" drive(odd yes) & the other is a 1.5tb Seagate 3.5". The Seagate is just a storage drive.
Anyway, once I choose the WD it then just brings me to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen with 2 options. 'Launch startup repair' or 'Start Windows Normally'. I've been letting it sit at the error recovery screen for awhile now & see that all fans are spinning so I doubt any things overheating. BTW, the mono is an ASUS Saberbooth Z77.

UPDATE 1: I had it run the automated "startup repair" and this is what it said:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21199696
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 2
Problem Signature 07: NoRootCause
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

UPDATE 2: I kept hitting F8 until it finally gave me an option for Safe Mode. Unfortunately, it still rebooted by itself trying to load Safe Mode.

UPDATE 3: From the Recovery/Repair options, I managed to get into "Command Prompt". I attempted a fix I found on Microsoft's support site:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

both options completed successfully both didn't fix my problem. additionally, I went back into "Command Prompt" and tried using chkdsk. The results stated that there were no problems with the disk & 0KB bad sectors.

toshibitsu

Distinguished

Thanks, although its not allowing me to do an SFC scan. It just keeps saying:

"There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run SFC again."

UPDATE 1: I found a post on another site suggesting I try this method:
command console:
dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
followed by this:
sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\Windows

upon doing so, it now shows that its doing a scan. letting it run & will see how it goes.

UPDATE 2: scan finished. this is what it says now:
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

toshibitsu

Distinguished
anyway.... I decided to replace the hard drive and did a fresh install of Windows. Have not had any issues since. What's odd, I put the old hard drive into an enclosure and have been using it as an external/backup drive and so far have not had any issues with that either.