Planning on starting a Custom Computer build and support business

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindofdave

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hey folks,

I have forever had my nose buried into computers and currently work in IT atm.

I have always had a passion to build my empire for a better term, and I have been building custom PCs for freinds and colleagues and work for the last year more frequently, and have been doing it for a job for about 5 now.

I have read quite alot of storys about opening stores, working from home, but im reaching out to grab the users opinions.

Im thinking of running this along side my current role, and then when the word of mouth spreads my company name, and the work picks up, i would take the plunge.

The builds and support are just one aspect, as my phase one focus, I then want to move into the social side of gaming, maybe hosting local LAN partys, game events and competitions, and hopefully would like to teach myself how to make some really awesome custom PCs for the likes of Game releases etc.

Any tips or warnings (be brutal, as you may save pain and money in the future :p )

Cheers

Solution

It may be a bit different in your part of the world, ( I am assuming you are in the UK ). Over here, leaving your employer then starting your own business in the same field is severly frowned upon and legal action can be taken. Now if you leave the area, you are good to go as long as you are far enough away. I moderate another board and hang out on others. I know a few that have built their own rigs, but not many. I also have a lot of FB friends in the UK. One thing I have...
If I read yopur post right, you have been building computers for about 5 years now as a job. That could be a problem, as some employerers usually have some kind of Non Compete thing in that you can't leave and start your own business doing the same thing. In other words, compete against them. I know someone who started their own business, while maintaining their regualr job. The business took off and they quit and was in the business full time. Did well then tanked as more and more competition came in and they couldn't compete. Lot of risks involve when you commit full time to a business.

mindofdave

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Its not exactly a computer building business im in, but i know what you mean. Cheers for the advice about your mate, I suppose its just the general rule of, plan lots, and commit and if the market analysis doesnt require it, then dont go for it. Cheers!

It may be a bit different in your part of the world, ( I am assuming you are in the UK ). Over here, leaving your employer then starting your own business in the same field is severly frowned upon and legal action can be taken. Now if you leave the area, you are good to go as long as you are far enough away. I moderate another board and hang out on others. I know a few that have built their own rigs, but not many. I also have a lot of FB friends in the UK. One thing I have noticed is that there seems to be a shortage of custom builders over there, although parts are readily available. When working with someone over there I usually use the PC World Superstore or Amazon, although there are others when I can remember them. Anyway, you may be on to something if the market will support it.

Solution

mindofdave

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Thanks for the advice Coastie65,

Already getting some unique requests, aswell as other markets that I hadnt thought about looking into, but could defo accomodate, such as a home security network server unit, running 8 cameras at a house.

Im going to have a chat with a business advisor, and my freind who started a company, and is taking off, Ill keep you posted :)

Cheers though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.