Asus' New Zenbook Packs 2560 x 1440 Touchscreen Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That is very nice and with the discrete graphics it is made even more tempting even if its not going to play all the games at that resolution. Hopefully its well priced.

game junky

Distinguished
That's definitely the most impressive ultrabook I have seen - yes, there are laptops with higher-res displays, yes there are thin laptops with bettern GPUs but not in a combination like that. Price will probably make me wanna vom, though.

G

@Spooderman this will play quite a few games that are a few years old at that resolution even if its on lower settings. Its still miles better than most ultrabooks and better than any tablet apart from the Razer tablet.

G

@Spooderman this will play quite a few games that are a few years old at that resolution even if its on lower settings. Its still miles better than most ultrabooks and better than any tablet apart from the Razer tablet.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What's wrong with everyone in this thread?? This isn't a gaming machine. This GPU isn't a gaming one and is installed purely for extra performance should you need to use Photoshop or something that could benefit from a low-end non-integrated graphics processor. And no, you won't be able to swap out the GPU, pray that you can even remove the RAM or the battery, ultrabook hardware is getting more and more difficult to repair.

Now I wish this would come without all the touchscreen BS, without Windows 8, no multitouch on the touchpad and therefore at a much lower price... I'd spend my money on that.

game junky

Distinguished
I agree the previous posters - this system isn't meant to be a gaming rig, the GPU is just to help with giving it a graphics boost over the stock onboard GPU. Video playback even at just 1080p can be a little bit of a push for an onboard graphics card in a laptop.

G

If you google GT 730M and choose the first result, scroll to near the bottom and you will see that this card has no problems runnings games on low settings, many in medium and some high or ultra!

yeah, but then why bother having it? the iGPU on Haswell chips are already pretty good. adding an optional entry level graphics only subtracts space available for more useful things like battery cells, or possibly making the ultra book thicker than necessary. it's an odd design decision on ASUS's part

That's the beauty of these ultra-high resolution screens. You don't play the game at 2560x1440. You play at 1280x720. Because it's exactly half the resolution in both directions, there's no dithering/blurring needed to make the image fit the screen.

With 1920x1080, you had to drop down to 960x540 to accomplish the same thing. Way too low for decent gaming. 1280x720 is at least passable, especially on a 13" screen.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Fyi GPU's aren't just for gaming.

In my experience, the lid of the laptop is the part that most frequently gets scratched. A scratch-resistant glass lid would help prevent that.

I think the old Thinkpads had the best solution (not sure if they still use it). They coated the lid in some self-healing rubber-like material. If you got a scratch, you could just rub it out.

Touko

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
What a stupid discussion! the 730M is actually great for playing most games.

And one of the best features of the 1440p resolution for games is that you can combine 4 pixels into one, ending up with a 720p display free of any scaling artifacts, which the 730M GPU will drive brilliantly.

Any MMORPG will run great on this machine and look way better than on a quartered 1080p display, which would reduce it to 540p, which is too low to look good.

As for those dullards saying "Ultrabooks aren't made for gaming": wake up, we aren't living in a static universe, things keep developing...

Touko

Honorable
Jun 16, 2013
What a stupid discussion! the 730M is actually great for playing most games.

And one of the best features of the 1440p resolution for games is that you can combine 4 pixels into one, ending up with a 720p display free of any scaling artifacts, which the 730M GPU will drive brilliantly.

Any MMORPG will run great on this machine and look way better than on a quartered 1080p display, which would reduce it to 540p, which is too low to look good.

As for those dullards saying "Ultrabooks aren't made for gaming": wake up, we aren't living in a static universe, things keep developing...

Status
Not open for further replies.