Upgrading my current build!

philipmccann

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I'm fairly new to taking an interest in the hardware my computer has and I'm thinking of upgrading my current specs, for gaming preferably. I'm very cost sensitive too. I currently have:
Motherboard: BIOSTAR A780L3L
PSU: Tesla 750W
RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)
Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 Quad-Core
Harddrive: 1TB Hitachi ATA Device
GPU: Radeon ATI 5450

The most fundamental upgrade I want at the minute is a GPU upgrade, I recently bought a Radeon 7750 and had white lines across my screen. Whether this is compatibility or a GPU fault I don't know, so I returned it. I'm thinking of buying the Zotac NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB. A friend of mine told me it wouldn't be compatable with my current motherboard.

So long ado, my question is this. Should I save and save and invest in an Intel motherboard and i5 processor. Or purchase a new motherboard, and (if it's possible) use my X4 Quad-Core on it? I'm very much into my gaming, but I wouldn't call myself serious and do not require the absolute latest tech. Cheers!

philipmccann

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013

Cheers! The game I want to run, is Rome Total War 2. At the moment it runs fine on low settings, but I'm hoping for medium-high. So the processor is acceptable? I was thinking of the Intel i3 but was told the X4 QC is pretty in-line with that model and only worth switching to Intel to buy the i5.