build now or sit on your hands for a few months?

pbk

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
First, a big thank you for all the work you do in sharing insights with the readers of Tom's Hardware.

Second, before I drop $900, I'd very much like the view of a seasoned builder. This past weekend I got scared with the failure of a storage drive and realized that my single system is a single point failure in my workday. Is this a good time to do a new build, or should I hold off for a few months? If you have a moment, here's my situation.

Most of what I do is MS Office, but some of the spreadsheets can hit 100 mb - once in a while I can use the horsepower of a fast system. Back when the chip was new I built (and still use) a system with the i7-950. I thought I was smart, but ended up with an orphan socket. I look at the emerging 1150 versus the more stable 1155, and don't want to repeat the error.

I've spent a few hours specifying a system, and ended up with an $850 spend (i5-3570 with a good mb and an ssd). If you were looking to spend $750-1000, would you build now or sit on your hands for a few months?

Regards, PK