graphics before cpu/ram/mobo?

ANDVIL13

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Hello All

I currently have an athlon x4 620 cpu, 4gb of DDR2 RAM,,basic mother board, ATI HD 5850 GPU and a corair 600w PSU. I would like toupgrade the GPU and So far i have saved up for a 4gb Gigabyte gtx 770. My question is would i be better off upgrading my mobo\cpu&ram first before getting a new GPU or go ahead and get the GPU and the other bits second? I know there might be a bottle neck with the CPU but will it really be that bad?

Sorry about the type of question and i know its been asked before but i was hoping someone on here would have a similar set up that could answer my question.

Thanks in advanced :)

Hi. With what you have now, you are way behind the curve for that Video Card. I would suggest upgrading your motherboard, processor, and memory first. With DDR2 memory, you probably have PCIe 1.0 and that card is PCIe 3.0. It would be seriously bottlenecked.

the1corrupted

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
See my thread here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1791176/pci-express-revisions.html#11485214

So if you upgrade, PCI Express revisions may not bottleneck the system. However, the CPU/RAM speed might. If you get a GTX 770, it might stand to reason that that one 4GB graphics card is more powerful than your entire mainboard! (totally unproven)

I would only suggest an upgrade on the motherboard/CPU in this case, because everything on that is about three generations out of cycle, and those parts are well past their expected End of Life. I would suggest doing everything at once if possible (you might be able to keep your PSU).

ANDVIL13

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
Yeah I was kind of thinking that upgrading all the bits may need to be done first before the gpu :-\ I was hoping that you would say that it would be fine for now but you are talking sense.

Thanks very much for your replies!

ANDVIL13

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I have been looking on some sites to see what to get.

I am thinking
amd fx8350 cpu
MSI 990FXA-GD65
8gb Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR3 PC3-12800 C8 1600MHz.

That sound ok?

Thats nearly all my GPU savings gone :p Time to start saving again and hope i also get some money for christam lol

Thanks again :)

ianskiracer303

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

The 770 will never reach it's full capacity so i would upgrade you cpu, motherboard and ram first then get the graphics card

That looks pretty good for an upgrade and you will notice the difference. The GPU can come later when you are ready and by then the price may have come down.