Water cooling loop questions

bdykstra7

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hello all! I'm very new to the world of water-cooling and I am curious if you all could look over my parts list to make sure that I'm not missing anything! I just want to really make sure that i'm not missing anything important, and that i have enough barbs and compression fittings (I am not even positive as to what compression fittings are for). Any help, tips, or info would be greatly appreciated!

Radiator:

XSPC EX240 2 x 120mm, Dual 120mm Low Profile Split Fin Copper Radiator -

Pump:

Swiftech MCP655-B Liquid cooling system pump

Resevoir

XSPC Acrylic Tank Reservoir for Laing DDC

CPU:

XSPC Raystorm CPU Block for Intel Socket LGA 1156, 1155, 1366, and 2011

Barbs:

XSPC 1/2" Black Chrome Barb Fitting with G1/4" Threads (10 barbs)

Hose:

Thermaltake V-tubler 200cm Flexible Viper Green Water Tube for Water Cooling Systems

Compression Fittings (not sure how these are used?

XSPC 1/2" x 3/4" Compression Fittings with G1/4" Threads (Black Chrome Finish)

Thank you!

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
Well you have the basics as long as you have fans for your rad and you get distilled water to fill the loop with, some people also like to get a kill coil/biocide to prevent algae growth,
you don't need barbs and compression fittings you pick one or the other, with a barb you basically just push the tube over it and it has a ridged edge to stop the tube slipping off most come with a clip to press against the tube holding it on,
with a compression fitting its similar to a barb but you have a nut that slips on the tube first then the tube is slipped on to the the insert of the fitting and the nut is screwed on to a thread on the fitting compressing the tube between the insert of the fitting and the nut making it water tight and strong enough to take a fair amount of force before pulling apart

The tube you have linked is a different size than the fittings so best you check that out before you buy and also make sure you have room in your case for both the pump and the reservoir in my opinion I find a bay reservoir works best with that pump but then I didn't use it in a large case

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
well from what ive seen other people say about pump mounted on bay reservoir it can be a cause of vibration noise,
but as first time watercooling a kit is a good way to go have you read the watercooling sticky http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/277130-29-read-first-watercooling-sticky
the rad in the kit you linked is a 360mm rad its quite large (i have one) you should see have you the space for it and if not are you willing to do some modifications to fit it, there is links to some good kits in the sticky if you read it