Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

SanDisk A110 PCIe SSD: Armed With The New M.2 Edge Connector

Last response: in Reviews comments
Share
September 5, 2013 10:03:16 PM

Awesome new stuff. Can't wait to see if this drive actually uses the full potential of the M2, and if Samsung or OCZ can one-up them.
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 5, 2013 10:31:36 PM

Mike Friesen said:
Awesome new stuff. Can't wait to see if this drive actually uses the full potential of the M2, and if Samsung or OCZ can one-up them.


Samsung actually has some pretty awesome M.2 PCIe action going on. We're trying to get our hands on everything, so stay tuned.


Regards,
Christopher Ryan

Score
5
September 5, 2013 10:32:20 PM

It will be nice to see vendors implement the NVMe connectors in the desktop mobo's, which in turn will redefine case design, as less storage space will be required for storage. I am aware that the initial intent is to direct these at the mobile market, but desktops can benefit as well.
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 5, 2013 11:08:44 PM

radiovan said:
It will be nice to see vendors implement the NVMe connectors in the desktop mobo's, which in turn will redefine case design, as less storage space will be required for storage. I am aware that the initial intent is to direct these at the mobile market, but desktops can benefit as well.


You'll really see NVMe take off on the desktop with the move towards SATA Express. A SSD on SATA Express will leverage NVMe and two PCIe Gen 3 lanes. Though some motherboards will (and already do) have M.2 connectors, M.2 really makes more sense in mobile applications. M.2 will only get traction on the desktop insofar as it will begin to replace mSATA. Tons of mainboards, especially smaller form factor products embrace mSATA, and moving to M.2 is a natural transition. However, M.2 drives are hard to find right now, and we really won't see a plethora of options until next year.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan
Score
2
September 6, 2013 12:50:36 AM

I got M.2 toshiba ssd in my Sony Vaio Pro 13.. review that?

and it should have samsung M.2 in some countries..
Score
1
a b G Storage
September 6, 2013 8:59:24 AM

I may no longer have motivation to upgrade my system based on CPU specs, but with DDR4, M.2, new restive storage based SSDs, and better chipset features I will still have enough reason to upgrade in a year or two.
Score
2
a b G Storage
September 6, 2013 9:07:30 AM

cryan said:
radiovan said:
It will be nice to see vendors implement the NVMe connectors in the desktop mobo's, which in turn will redefine case design, as less storage space will be required for storage. I am aware that the initial intent is to direct these at the mobile market, but desktops can benefit as well.


You'll really see NVMe take off on the desktop with the move towards SATA Express. A SSD on SATA Express will leverage NVMe and two PCIe Gen 3 lanes. Though some motherboards will (and already do) have M.2 connectors, M.2 really makes more sense in mobile applications. M.2 will only get traction on the desktop insofar as it will begin to replace mSATA. Tons of mainboards, especially smaller form factor products embrace mSATA, and moving to M.2 is a natural transition. However, M.2 drives are hard to find right now, and we really won't see a plethora of options until next year.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan


That's what I was thinking. SATA Express is going to be fast enough for now as I have used PCIe SSDs before (OCZ Revo based drive) and compared to my 520 its hard to notice a difference, especially since there are other bottlenecks stopping it from being able to utilize that bandwidth.

This will be great for ultra portable systems though and ITX systems.
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 6, 2013 10:52:24 AM

nekromobo said:
I got M.2 toshiba ssd in my Sony Vaio Pro 13.. review that?

and it should have samsung M.2 in some countries..


Absolutely... just send it my way and consider it done.

Regards,
Christopher Ryan


Score
2
September 6, 2013 12:11:46 PM

Christopher Ryan, I'll take this off of your hands.

Regards,
m32
Score
0
September 6, 2013 7:19:18 PM

will there be RAID or SLI/CFX for PCIe based SSD's?
I don't think so b/c it's already way above 6G limit.
Score
0
September 7, 2013 11:04:37 AM

the power numbers don't make a lot of sense. I suspect either the pcie interface is being kept in a high-power mode (plls running, etc) or else your molex is supplying power to other stuff on the board. (there must be a dc-dc regulator on the auxiliary card, since molex provides only 12,5.)
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 7, 2013 6:04:16 PM

markhahn said:
the power numbers don't make a lot of sense. I suspect either the pcie interface is being kept in a high-power mode (plls running, etc) or else your molex is supplying power to other stuff on the board. (there must be a dc-dc regulator on the auxiliary card, since molex provides only 12,5.)


This is almost certainly true. I mean, we know it uses DC to DC to step the 5v down to 3.3v. But oddly, SanDisk rates the max write power consumption at 5.5w, and I could only get it max at 3.5w. Of course, it also possesses a deep slumber state, but that's contingent on having a L1.0 PCIe endpoint, and that hasn't even been ratified yet by PCI-SIG.

So definitely take the power consumption results with a grain of salt. There are challenges to testing this drive in this way.


Regards,
Christopher Ryan
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 7, 2013 7:16:57 PM

mikeangs2004 said:
will there be RAID or SLI/CFX for PCIe based SSD's?
I don't think so b/c it's already way above 6G limit.


If you happened to have the ability to run two+ PCIe SSDs, M.2 or otherwise, you can always soft-raid them. There are reasons why you'd want to avoid such a setup, but it'd totally work. Intel's 910 PCIe SSD shows 2 or 4 drives to the OS and then they can be soft-raided from there, for instance.


Regards,
Christopher Ryan

Score
0
a b G Storage
September 8, 2013 4:31:18 PM

what command line switches were use in robocopy?
Score
0
September 9, 2013 5:31:34 PM

Is there TRIM/garbage collection?
Score
0
September 10, 2013 11:33:01 AM

Awesome stuff, wish I could afford it.
Score
0
a b G Storage
September 15, 2013 9:44:36 AM

It seems like new progress is being made in the field of NAND every day. I can't wait until you can get high capacity drives for around the same price as HDDs, but I've heard that even as late as 2017 SSD storage will only have a 33% share.
Score
0
October 4, 2013 12:20:16 AM

I'm a complete novice to all this stuff, yet I have a few questions that maybe someone can answer.

Are these M2 devices still considered SATA drives?
Using a PCIe (or other) interface for the M2 how could you clone these devices?
Can these devices then be cloned using a standard HDD duplicator?
Is there such a thing as a M2 "adapter" that plugs into the above duplicator?

Thanks for your response.
Score
0
November 12, 2013 7:22:50 PM

Christopher,

On page four of this review, in the maximum 4kb speed chart, it says "in MB/s [higher is better]." However, shouldn't that refer to the fact that it is measuring max IOps, rather than write speed? It seems like a type to me, so I wanted to let you know.
Score
0
!