Hi guys,
I've recently built a media center PC using the following:

i7 3770
HD Radeon 7970
8GB (4x2GB) 1600MHz RAM
MSI (cheap board) B75MA
Diablo Tek Evo - 4 fans - 4x 120mm
Hyper 212+ CPU cooler

What I'm trying to do is cut down on the noise level. It is no so loud to bother me while watching a movie, however when there is no audio (no one talking or no music) you can hear the fans.

I'm wondering if I can upgrade to a quieter fan. I see most DB levels are around 19, which is the same for my Hyper 212+.

Any fan recommendations?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
If you want to spend as little money as possible (or none at all), then, as kiezz said, the option to go would be getting a software or hardware fan controller.

Beyond that, Noctua and Be Quiet! fans are considered very good for being quiet, although they can be on the most expensive side.

Cougar and Enermax fans are far more realistic recommendations that can perform well while being fairly quiet.

After that, Arctic Cooling fans are the most affordable. They seriously are quiet, and perform good, but you can see where they cut some corners in the design and packaging. (Wires are really small gauge, and it's a very bare-bones package you get.)

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
My fans don't connect to my system board, so I don't think a software controller will work (but I don't know for sure).

A hardware controller might be good. With the hardware fan controllers, can you set the speed of the fan but have it move faster when the system is hot?

Ideally I'd like it as quite as possible, except when needed.

Since my motherboard has a 4pin connector, can I daisy chain some adapters?

For example:

System Fan 4 pin header ----- to ----- pwm splitter. Each connector on the splitter is also a 4 pin head.

I was thinking of placing 4 system fans on the single header, but I don't know how efficient this is. Any good hardware fan controllers that don't have LEDs or anything? I don't want lights or anything, since this is in my home enterainment center.

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
4 fans off one header would be pushing it too far I think there is a splitter cable that connects 3 or 4 fans and uses 1 pwm header and a molex connector for power but then you need to buy all pwm fans, so that fan controller looks perfect for you just turn all the fans down while browsing internet or watching a movie and crank them up playing games or intensive tasks

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I put purchase this, but then I have to manually control the fan speed. For automatic, I could purchase the 4 PWM fans and adapters. I am thinking of getting this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608039

4 of those on one fan header might not be so bad, since they are low powered fans. What's your opinion on that? I'm not worried about the price of the fan as much as I am in the noise level and the manual/automatic control.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I just ended up ordering 4 Noctual 120mm fans (S12A). I ordered a 4 way PWM splitter.
This should allow me to use my system board's fan control settings with the Noctua.

My board has two fan headers. 1 is 4 pin the other is 3 pin.

3 pins don't allow for fan control, right?

kiezz

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2011
I doubt you'll even need fan control on them fans at 800rpm and what 8.6db thats as quiet as anything, id even try say put 2 of the important fans at constant speed off the psu just incase so you don't overload that one header but thats just me been cautious, some higher end motherboards control 3 pin fans its basically just cutting the amount of voltage they get to spin slower

3-Pin fans can be controlled through the motherboard with voltage. Some motherboards have a utility that will allow control (Smartfan) while all can be controlled via a software fan controller, like Speedfan.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks- but what I ended up doing was using a modex to PWM (4) splitter.

So I'm not even using the system board fan controls. I figured with the low noise of 8.6db, it wasn't worth it to use the fan headers. 4 fans are doing a great job. Temps are good with so little noise. Thanks for all your help.

TRENDING THREADS