Sign in with
Your question

Daisy chaining RAID DAS units using FW800 - safe?

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2013 1:00:17 PM

I have two Promise Smartstor 4600 DAS units that I have daisy chained using Firewire 800. The units have 2 FW800 ports each. I am doing this mainly to maximize my use of FW800 ports which my CPU has only one of.

I called Promise support and they said it isn't possible (It is, I've got it working as I write this) while in the same breath mentioning that the newer Pegasus Thunderbolt models DO support daisy chaining.

Is there an inherent danger to doing this in the long term or is Promise just using marketing-speak to get me to buy their newer product?

I've found many discussions online about this except not much about chaining RAID arrays specifically. I am looking for a definitive answer if at all possible :) 

Thanks
a c 906 G Storage
September 7, 2013 2:57:09 PM

Of course they can. The process is called Daisy chaining and is part of the firewire specification.
September 23, 2013 12:47:38 PM

popatim said:
Of course they can. The process is called Daisy chaining and is part of the firewire specification.

Great. I am only looking to use the chain to mount the disks to my desktop. I think the person I spoke with at Promise support may have thought that I was looking to merge the RAIDs.

Anyhow, I've been using the drives daisy chained for 3 weeks now with no negative results. I think it's going to be ok.

Thanks

a c 906 G Storage
September 23, 2013 2:50:13 PM

Yer Welcome.
!