Prodigy M Air Flow

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
I've been checking out the new Prodigy M because I was impressed with the original Prodigy even though I find it a little big for something that houses a mini-itx board. Now I got confused as to how the air flow in this thing is going to be with everything in it seemed to have been flipped sideways/upside down or w/e. I'd like to hear your ideas on how you'd manage a good air flow with this case.

This would be my ideal build
972.png

If I mapped out the air flow correctly it would look like this
972_zpsb0097baa.png

My issue with this is hot air ejected at the bottom goes up and would get recycled back in. Any thoughts with this air flow?

you do not want the heat flow to be going from top to bottom.

the bottom fans would push air up and the top fans would exhaust.

personally i would have the rear fan push forward (inverse of typical cases) to counter the influx of heat from the psu outlet getting mixed with the bottom inlet.

..... poor case design. the psu should have been at the rear as is typical. i've seen some psu units (my old ocz had one) which ahve an angled deflector on the back to deflect hot air away from the case. if you use this you should be fine.

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
Exactly my thoughts. The PSU placement just seems to be a huge problem with it exhausting air on the bottom. I don't think it's possible to flip it around so it'd be exhausting inside the case, or possibly it is exhausting within the case with it's current installation. It just doesn't make sense coz the bottom fan in the pic seems to be installed to push air out through the bottom.

If the PSU is exhausting within the case then it'd be better. Still I think they went a little over crazy in designing this thing.

you dont want to push air out the bottom. heat rises and this will be a bad idea.

the psu clearly exhausts bottom. you could use a deflector to pull the air away from the case though.

i suppose if you used a liquid cooled psu it would eliminate the issue. you could easily pair it up with a reservator and use a liquid cooled gpu as well for a mostly liquid cooled system. that would be rather neat.

if you're interested i could help you work out the details (other than trying to liquid cool the psu..). i've seen some models you can buy though. they even come in low wattage models like this 600w http://www.silentmaxx.de/index.php?id=232&L=1&ftu=a78ee70a8f

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
Yep. Just did a double check and it does exhaust through the bottom and a deflector shield can be installed but would restrict the use of a bottom fan.

I would like to hear more about liquid cooling possibilities and give me a run down on components needed as it sounds quite interesting.

would you like to do it in real time quick?

if so let me know i can hop on a free irc room at freenode

edit:

its probably easier to go over things that way faster. i'll post a channel # and link if you are interested.

ljcool_17

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2013
It's not really urgent of a deal, and I'm a bit on the move right now. So I guess on here is just fine. I just needed a reference for going liquid cooling on this case.

not saying its urgent... just saying that its easier for me to sit down and discuss it that way since there can be alot of information to cover.

are you going to be free in the next few hours? if so we can do it then.

if not i can just make a few comments here and we can postpone it till when you are free.

trust me... i do tend to go into depth so its a good idea! (just ask anyone else who i lured into irc hahaha )

rattlehead2112

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
No, I just thought about it but there's no other option but to use your mapping of air flow.
A liquid cooler is a really good option.

I was thinking about a similar build, but it had 1 card and an air cooler.
Any suggestions for this?

gn5m.png

2093upu.jpg

o8e0ew.jpg

if watercooling you have a few options. i listed a few above. keep in mind they are ideas only and not even close to everything you could possibly do.

i did not create a graphic for it but in an upward flow design you could use the rear port as an intake. you should have positive pressure anyways.

as far as ideal radiator mounting positions... mounting externally on the sides would provide an area to put a very large radiator which can efficiently cool any gpu or cpu you hook up to it, even overclocked. i wouldnt put both on the same loop though. it can be done but temps might be higher. an alternative would be to use two smaller radiators with a pump capable of pushing through them in a single line and alternating block->rad->block->rad->reserv->pump->

you could put a large radiator on the bottom but you may want it or the fans external to save on room. otherwiswe you block your rear 120mm fan port.

the top could take a slimline 2x120mm and 2x120mm slimline fans easily enough if you dont have a second graphics card.

edit: it might be possible to sneak a fan controller in else where and use the standard dvd 5.25 bay. there are quite a few options i only suggested what first came to mind. or you could go external with the fan controller or dvd drive. or you could eliminate the fan controller completely (though its handy in the case of liquid cooling)

honstly how you go about cooling the case has quite a bit to do with what you intend to put in there and what space is available. this is why i wanted to have a 1 on 1 talk to discuss your options. due to the limited space and cooling capacity this cannot be helped. so.. get back to me if interested in discussing what would work for you.

ideally a larger case is the solution however for a lanbox or small easy to hide case (hence why you probably picked this small case) going large isnt an option so i didnt suggest it before. again... another point to discuss as to the purpose of the smaller case compared to a mid tower.

@rattlehead

did you find a source to confirm that there is indeed a fan inlet (it would be just the psu fan anyways) on the front of the case? i wasnt able to find a photo which suggested this was the case.

if you want to discuss your cooling options the offer extends to you as well. i could talk with you about it on web irc if you give me some details about what you want to do.

rattlehead2112

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151852960901388&set=a.469895691387.247359.349216296387&type=1&comment_id=11080993&reply_comment_id=11081003&total_comments=5

first reply in the first comment

xpress2016

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
First of all sorry for my english, i'm french.

I have the case with a sli of Asus GTX660 dcuii top and flipped the case upside down, i will explain why.

My configuration is :
- i5 4670l
- Gigabyte z87mx-d3h
- Sli Asus GTX660 dcuii top
- 8go kingston
- Akasa Venom Power 850W 80+ Gold
- Antec 620 AIO waterblock for cpu with push/pull 2x120mm spectre fans
- 2x120mm spectre pwn fans
- 1x230mm spectre pro fan

i started with the typical air flow everybody suggest. 230mm fan intake on the bottom, extraction push/pull on the rad fixed on the rear, extraction 2x120mm fans on the top and PSU intake from the front panel.

On my 100% load test on both CPU and GPUs i got almost 90° for the hottest GPU and 70° for CPU.

The main problem was the air flow to the GPUs. They are on the top of the case with their fans upward. So they are not supplied with cold air and the extraction was very limited by the 2 graphics cards that are very close to the fans. And the push/pull get his air from the inside of the case, witch is not the best because of the proximity of the hot GPU.

I decided to change everything just by turning over the case.
The changes are :
- 2x120mm intake on the bottom that supply fresh air to the GPUs
- intake on the rad's push/pull for direct fresh air from the outside
- 230mm extraction on the top
- PSU extration on the top so no more conflict with the intake on the bottom in the "normal" configuration.

Results = -10/15°c on GPUs and -10° on CPU and less noise on load but a little more on idle because of the PSU and 230mm pointing up.

It's the best solution i found without changing my fans or doing any mod.

I hope it helped you ;)

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Hi I just purchased the bitfenix prodigy m, and wanting to go sli. Does anyone have any pics of their systems running sli watercooled or not. I'm not sure what the best options is to go with this case. Totally confused.. Do you think it's best modding the case and add a external rad on top for full Water cooling ?

Cheers, lee

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hi I just purchased the bitfenix prodigy m, and wanting to go sli. Does anyone have any pics of their systems running sli watercooled or not. I'm not sure what the best options is to go with this case. Totally confused.. Do you think it's best modding the case and add a external rad on top for full Water cooling ?

Cheers lee

its a small case. if you plan on w/c both the gpus and the cpu then you would have no choice but to go external.

read through the thread. i mentioned a few options you could go with as well as the correct intake/exhaust configuration.

if you have any specific questions you can reply

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks ssdx. I was going to just watercool the cpu but "express 2016" mentioned his GPU's reached 90 degrees.. You state above you would add two small rads with a pump that would run them both. Is this the best option? would you attach both the rads to the side of the case for best results ? :s

Thanks lee.

the problem with small cases is that they heat up very quick. if you put some serious hardware in such a small space you will have heat problems.

ideally you would just return the prodigy m and buy something better suited but i'll continue assuming that is not an option.

the only solutions are to watercool externally or use some very serious fans to push air through the case. the problem with this is that all that airflow creates quite a bit of noise.

for best cooling performance you should use air from outside the case to run through the radiators. using air inside the case is going to give you the same problem as just having the gpus blower fans sucking in the hot air. your temps will be high.

the images above which show the cpu cooler on the back of the case where they exhaust the hot air out the back and such hot air out of the case is also bad for cooling.

--

ideally air flow is from front to back and from bottom to top (since hot air rises) however the case is not well suited for this.

the psu hot air bottom outlet really messes with using the bottom for a cold air intake. the hot air will mix with the cold air. this is why i mentioned using a shield to push the hot air away from the cold air intake.

my first choice of location would be to put the cpu cooler on the bottom provided you have directed the airflow of the exhaust away. the second would be on the rear provided that the bottom intake fan is pushing enough cold air up through the system (perhaps a fan upgrade).

my first choice for gpu cooling would be exterior on the side of the case. it may not be very pretty but it would provide the best cooling. the top slots are going to be blocked off the by cards so they are useless which leaves only the bottom and rear fan holes. the second choice would be to cut holes in the side of the case and mount a radiator and fans on the inside panel. depending on where you put things it may be tight.

the reason i suggested two radiators is because if you did it any other way you would be pushing hot water through the second gpu resulting in higher temps. while it is certainly possible to do this two radiators will give you cooler temps albiet you may need a stronger pump to push through 2 gpu blocks and 2 radiators. having two radiators also means that you can position them independent of one another if you put them on the side panel on the inside.

--------------------------------

in short:

the best option would be to go with a better case.

if you want to definitely use this case... please specify your budget and also what components you want to put in there (list the hardware)

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks for the detailed reply! Im thinking I might shy away from watercooling the gpu's On this case.. At the moment I'm only adding 1 gpu (gtx 780) if i do want to add another card,I think I'll take your advice and buy a better sized case, to do the job properly.

But i still want to watercool my cpu in this case. Should I buy a swifttech h220 or corsair h220i or can you advice a better option?

spec:

bitfenix prodigy m
Asus maximus iv gene
Intel 4770K
16gb gskill trident
Xfx 850watt xxx edition psu

heres a big negative with the case. the intake fans on the gpu point down. unfortunately the only decent intake is also from the bottom meaning one of two things... you either put the cpu heatsink on the bottom and then deal with high gpu temps or put the heatsink on the rear and deal with slightly higher cpu temps.

----

personally i think it would be a much better idea to put two powerfull 120mm fans on the bottom and to put a 120mm radiator on the back panel. an alternative would be to go with a powerfull 200 or 230mm fan on the bottom. you want something which can push decent airflow (i would say at least 100cfm... remember you can always dial it back if need be.)

far from ideal... but there really isnt too much you can do about it.

however there is an alternative. if you are not adverse to doing some case modding... you could add a side fan as an intake and use that for the cpu. this would likely be the "best" alternative but only if you dont mind modding.

as far as putting fans in the top of the case i'm not so sure how much they will help since the gpu will block most of the airflow upwards if you put it in the top slot. if you put it in the lower slot putting one fan up there might not be a bad idea. just remember to have more airflow coming into the case than going out (you want positive pressure in the case). if you have too many exhausts just put beefier intake fans in to keep this pressure.

either the nzxt kraken or corsair h series work. i'm not sure going with a dual radiator is such a good idea in that case. i would stick with a single 120mm even though the temps wont be quite as low. honestly i'm more worried about the gpu heating up in there than the cpu since a gtx780 is a "dual" gpu already so is like "sli" already. two of them would be equivalent to "quad sli". too much thermals for such a small case without some serious cooling power.

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
sounds like a big headache this case! I've never modded a case before but would like to learn.. I think I might return it,and purchase a full tower with better upgradability... I was thinking about the nzxt phantom 820 which looks quite good for the money. Any thoughts on this case ?

http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/prodigy-window-side-panel/

you can get extra side panels with windows too. not only will you have a new side panel to work on so that you dont ruin the original but you get a spiffy window to look into!

here is how you add a pc case fan mod to a side panel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wGlWZ24QsE

due to the large size of the fans in relation to the small size of the case while this would likely be an improvement of sorts its not going to be a better solution than just upgrading to a larger case. your choice.

adding a hole isnt hard. some measurements, test fitting, more measurements and cutting. some people really enjoy it howver you do need some tools.

--------

the better choice is likely to move to a bigger case with better airflow though.

i would say the prodigy m is between a mini-case and a mid-case so upgrading to a mid case or something a bit larger is a good idea. a full tower case can be huge. if you want to know just how huge...

this is a full sized computer case next to my 40" television on a 7 ft wide desk.
182ipu.jpg

really big right? its a corsair 800d full tower. not everyone has space for such a monster. there are even bigger cases out there too.

what would i recommend? well the most preferred cases are ones with a large open mesh front with plenty of fans like the antec 950 and the like however they arent very classy.. here are two i like. while perhaps not best-in-class performance they arent bad at all and will work for your needs.

corsair 500r on sale for $100 (normally $200)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010

corsair 750d $160
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024

of course there are other options out there... depending on what you like in terms of style, size and price.

Mrlee32

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
wow that's a monster case you got there! the side panels do look good on the prodigy, but I do think its going to be too small. the corsair 750d you recommend looks great and pretty good value. What will be the best watercooling setup for that case. I'd like to watercool the gpu's and cpu and try and overclock abit aswell. Thanks for your help ssddx