Next gen PC build. Is it good enough?

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Hello I've been saving for a while waiting for the next gen games to come out.

My favourite so far is definitely Battlefield 4. So this build has BF4 in mind. But I need to ask some of your opinions if it will run it well, preferably high/ultra with 60 fps.

I know the specs of this build is good but I'm a noob at PC gaming and I just need to get some expert opinions to know before I spend all my saved money on it.

So here's the specs:

Intel i5 - 4670 (3.4GHz)

ASUS Maximus VI HERO motherboard.

8GB Kingston beastX dual-ddr3 RAM

3GB nVidia GeForce GTX 780

corsair 650W PSU.

I don't think there's any other important components to list.

What do you all think I'm basically ready to buy it all up if im certain it will run BF4 well and some of the next gen games too. Thank you.

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Go with a 4670K Cpu instead. Your motherboard allows to overclock, so, why not an K CPU? IT can get you some boost in the future.

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
And since we don't know exactly how much the GTX 780 will struggle to play BF4, but I guess we all can assume it will be able to play maxed out at 60FPS. If anything, you can SLI or Change for an AMD card if they are better than nvidia. But i assume amd 8970/9870 will be able to play at 60+ fps, because it's coming bundled with BF4 in the game bundle, so they know that they card will play it for sure.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I would like to OC maybe. But I dont really know how to do it. How would I go about overclocking something? Is it possible to OC too much and risk destroying a PC or what?

COuld you explain how exactly I'd OC a GPU or motherboard safely?

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Well, usually a K CPU is able to OC, and I hear that the haswell cpus OC less than Ivy and sandy bridge Gen. But don't worry. Just read the forums, there are plenty of them with detailed tutorials to OC. But get a good aftermarket cooler, or go with a AIO closed loop Liquid cooling and you can OC to at least 4GHz. And the gpu, just go in the Catalyst control or 3rd application. But don't worry. If it goes wrong, usually the CPU shuts down to protect itself from melting and will reboot with default settings. But for now, don't worry about it. the I5-4670k is very powerful and will throw every game you want to throw it for the next few years, and the gpu is powerful as well, and it's easier to upgrade in the future.

Hi. With the UEFI BiOS, it will be easy. About 4 clicks and sit back and watch. If you go with the i5 4670k then you'll need a third party CPU cooler. The Cooler Master 212 EVO or 212X will do fine. Other than that, your computer will do quite well. You can save $10 and go with this Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979 It is a very good board and I am using myself.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Thanks very much for your replies. It's costing well over a grand to build but i love gaming its a hobby and if it will happily run alot of stuff and things in future I'm more confident in buying it. Thanks.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

I'm new to all the OC'ing business I've no idea what to do haha. So if i bought the cooler master, you just install that into the PC and use some form of program and it overclocks it? how does it know when to stop or how good it can make it? sorry for all the noob questions lol

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
You usually go to the bios and see where are the Multiplier options, or an Auto-OC feature. I wouldn't recommend you to do it now, as the gains is not that much, at least, you will barely notice and the risks are high. Play without OCing, but in a year, or 6 month, give it a shot. Learn on forums and tutorials.

Yeah, you just use the Coolermaster instead of the Stock one that comes with the processor. With the UEFI BiOS, it has an over clocking utility that makes it easy. It wil do all the adustments and is safe. You can also switch to the old style and do your own thing and playe with Voltages and multipliers and such, but that isn't so safe if you don't know what you are doing. I have seen a motherboard bricked by someone who did know what they were doing. Usually you can find a tutorial on YouTube for that stuff. I know there is one for the Motherboard I have in here.

With these new boards, you can do more than the multiplier. You can also raise the BCLK .

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Thanks for all your replies guys. So I should get the K processor in case i want to OC in future. Regarding the GPU. WIll that be futureproof for a while aswell? Like will it run new games coming well?

If your budget can handle it by all means. As for the Video Card, I would think so. I am running a GTX 680 in here and it is doing fine.

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I second that. Your system is great. Just change to a K version of the cpu. The rest is great.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Yeah. The thing is, I could get 2 770's in SLI. and it works out a little over £100 more. I don't know what to do really, I have to have piece of mind that it's gonna run stuff nice, at least on High... not bothered about ultra all that much, but if it could that's a bonus.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

Thanks man. Thanks to you and Coastie for your help I will remember when I decide to buy my PC. Appreciated.

SirDrannik

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

And Man, I'd really recommend you to go with a single card Configuration. Sometimes, Sli, and crossfire don't work well, micro-stutter, and a lot of games don't support those configurations for some time, and even so, not all publishers release fixes or driver profiles.

xenoxniper

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

ok :) cheers mate! big help!

I agree. I would go with the single 780. sli / xFire can be a real headach to set up, and not a lot of stuff is really optimized well for that leading to problems. One reason I haven't tried sli or Xfire.