Report: AMD's Volcanic Islands to be Called Radeon R-200

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Sure would be nice if both AMD and Nvidia would find a naming scheme they like and stick to it. It's getting confusing when they use each others past model names for new cards!

JeremyCT

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
A prefix comes before the root word/term. A suffix comes after. The 9 is a suffix.

I'm not sure I like the new convention. Too similar to nVidia's, and yet complicated in its own right.

They already had popular Radeon 8000 and 9000 series cards. They've been off the shelf for more than a decade but I can see why they would want to avoid confusion.

Oddly enough, the internal codename for the Radeon 8000 and 9000 series GPUs made from 2001 to 2003 was "R200". It looks to me like they've decided to go full circle on the naming conventions.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I will definitely buy it if they call it the Arrrrrgh -390.

I wonder what would happen if they use a sane naming convention like G1M9, for Generation 1, Model 9

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
A few generations ago I ran a Radeon 7000 video card in my main machine. A few months ago I upgraded my machine to a Radeon 7790. Unless they radically change things I might be getting another Radeon 7xxx series video card in another 10 years.

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
How about this for a naming scheme? Nouns for the card's targeted market segment which is preceded by adjectives for its performance within its segment.
Enthusiast: Behemoth
Mainstream: Brute
Entry: Fiend
And within the segment are adjectives such as Agile, Titanic, Turbulent. So when MSi makes a card, they would have a HAWK Titanic Behemoth or an Agile Fiend Power Edition. I know it's a mouthful but AMD's proposed naming scheme is already is, so I don't really care. :))

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
How about this for a naming scheme? Nouns for the card's targeted market segment which is preceded by adjectives for its performance within its segment.
And within the segment are adjectives such as Agile, Titanic, Turbulent. So when MSi makes a card, they would have a HAWK Titanic Behemoth or an Agile Fiend Power Edition. I know it's a mouthful but AMD's proposed naming scheme is already is, so I don't really care. :))

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I saw that the Volcanic Islands wikipedia page had been updated with this naming scheme a few days ago, with no source, makes me wonder if this rumor actually originated from some troll messing with wikipedia.

I guess this naming scheme is ok, but it does seem kind of complicated compared to the previous naming scheme. I can't wait for the new cards though, I really hope that AMD does a good job on price/performance, and I really hope they go in all guns blazing with some major Fall game releases added to the Never Settle bundle.

horaciopz

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Confusing. I mean why don't just stick with AMD Radeon HD9xxx series, if everybody is already used to it since the ATI Radeon HD3xxx serires (some even before). Why change something that is alright? Don't fix what is not even broken.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
If I wait just a bit longer with the upgrade I will skip the entire HD family, as I currently have X1650. I personally think the prediction table is wrong - if such dense numbering is chosen - that will mean that interim products(say some cards with 30 at the end) wont have proper number, or if the marketing already know about the existence of such card - they should reserve space for it , which will drive speculation like crazy. I feel there will be multiple cards with 270 and 250 numbering , and the prefix will be used to separate them in performance groups(otherwise the prefix will serve no purpose)

Status
Not open for further replies.