SLI'ing 4GB and 2GB GTX 680s?!

4everPixelated

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Hey, umm... I'm 12 years old and I'm new to this forum. I have previously built my own PC with a 4GB 680 video card. If I get a 2GB 680 and try to SLI it will it work (I think it would but I'm not 100% sure), because I don't see a need to get another 4GB one. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! :D

It should work (though I do believe I've read SLI is less forgiving than Crossfire with this stuff and people have had trouble with it), but you'll limit both to 2GB, so because of the mirroring you'll get 2GB overall.

4everPixelated

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Oh, I see. So it may not be worth it to buy another GTX 680 if it is 2GB, because it will effectively waste 2GB of memory on my first card. Hmm... maybe I will just stick with my single 4GB 680. Thanks for the help!

Well it matters on the resolution u will be playing at but sli 680s at 2gb even tho one isnt fully being used as its limited by the other card will probably still perform quite well

It might be possible to mix and match your memory amounts, but it may require a Coolbits hack to get it working.

See here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/329298-33-help-coolbits-please

And this bit:
"When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. However, while it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer the flexibility to run graphics cards with different sized memory by using CoolBits. Using CoolBits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate them together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using CoolBits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the memory sizes."