Prime95 Test question & some others ( noob )

MQGreyF

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hello

I have question about prime95 , I have been running it for 3 hours and according to the SpeedFan maximum temperature was 44 Celsius , but at the same time I ran RealTemp GT to mesuree temp and according to it it was aroud 55 Celsius.

Now why these temps wasnt matching ( I got latest version for both programs ) Also why in the SpeedFan I was missing some information , I only saw temps for GPU ( which didnt went over 30 Celsius , according to SpeedFan ) 4 core temps , TEMP1 and TEMP2 ( what are these ? ) , also didnt see any chart , actually nothing exept the GPU , cores , and TEMP. Do I need to get this " ticket " ( register etc. ) and get the config to see all informations? Would be "free" version ( without config & without register ) enough for testing?

How long do I need to run prime95 to be sure everything is ok , i heard some people ran it for 12 hours , is that necessary?

Also as there wasnt any GPU stress made during prime95 ( atleast I didnt had the feeling ) is there any program for good GPU testing? I ran 3Dmark free version and got decent result. But I wonder if there's spmething else to tell me if my GPU is ok or it should be removed. Or is the 3Dmark free test enough?

Last question RAM related. In BIOS I set the XMP profile and in the main menu it says 1600Mhz. But when I check DIMM post it says DDR3 1333Mhz run @ 1600Mhz. Is my ram set correctly? Why does it says 1333Mhz...??

I know a lot of this stuff is probably silly questions but Im sort of noob in this and I'd like to learn a bit more , hope you'll find a little time and share some winsdom with me I really appriciate your help.

If you are testing GPU overclocks Prime is no use at all, it generates calculations for the CPU, it doesn't stress the GPU what so ever. You can use any of the Unigine tests and just loop them for that.

As for Speedfan, the names of the temperatures depend on what chipset you have so thats hard to answer. But you can enable/disable monitoring of different temperatures in the 'Configure' menu.

MQGreyF

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

Thanks a lot , do you think I should also run the speedfan during this test? or does it show the GPU temps in that program?

MQGreyF

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

Thanks I see it now , how long do you think it would be optimal to run that test if I want to be sure that my GPU is working properly. Also about the fanspeed , I cant see lot of information , I dont see any charts ( graph ) , I dont even see any speed of my fan... is that included only after I register on their site and get the config? as its shown in program? Also shouldnt the mobo control the speed of fans by it self? Is that speedfan program necessary to run 24/7?? Sorry about my stupid questions but im new to this , thanks again!

4+ hours usually means its stable, though you'd also need to test it in a few games too as not all programs stress components in the same way, so while it could be stable in one game, it might not in another.

Speedfan doesn't need any registering, but if you aren't using it to set up fan curves for your case fans then its not really of any use. Look up a Youtube guide on how to use it, it works really well once you have it set up right but its a pain to do so.

MQGreyF

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
thanks a lot! few more questions if you dont mind , what is the maximum stable temperature for GPU (MSI GTX760) ? Is it possible to somehow control or set the speed of case fans in BIOS? And how about the mobo , doesnt it control the temps by it self ? Do I really need the speedfan? I guess I'll have to play with the settings a little bit then, I seen some video on youtube but that guy had all kinds of temps shown there but I just had these I mentioned above.. , lastly how do I know which fan is set to intake and exhaust... can I check that in some program , BIOS. or do I have to open the case and flip then if I want different airflow? I know I know silly questions .... but I just want to be sure. Thanks again man , thanks a lot.

So long as you keep it under 90C its fine. I don't know about controlling the speed of case fans in BIOS, normally only really expensive motherboards are able to do it with enough options to make it viable.

If you don't care about noise, then you don't really need Speedfan, just set the fans up to a constant 800rpm or plug them into the PSU. Unless your case is a mess it will have exhaust out the back/top and intake at the bottom/front.

MQGreyF

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Thank you! I guess I'll play a bit with this speedfan then , if I'll get somehow more option for it.

Last question...I have coolermaster haf xm , I thought on default the airflow should be set front intake and top , back exhaust. But it doesnt seem that way , is there a way to check it ? Because when I put the hand on the front I feel cold air , and when I do the same at top , I dont feel any air at all. You really helped me a lot man , thanks.