Your thoughts about my new system

PiashC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
I'm a DotNet programmer. I spend atleast 15hrs/day with my computer.
My current system is a HP Pavillion laptop (i5-2450M, 8GB 1333MHZ RAM, 500GB 5400RPM internal HDD) plus HP2311gt 3D monitor, 2.1 speaker, external Kb and mouse etc. I'm using it for more than one year. This is a quiet good laptop, but lately it is not able to meet my needs (CPU went upto 99C, HDD spinning like crazy, boot takes 3mins etc). Recently the HDD showed SMART error. As it is still under warranty, I'll send it to replacement.

I think it is a good time to build an alternative PC. I need something faster.

My budget is $1000-$1200 (without monitor/speaker/kb/mouse/etc)

My preffered config was:
Processor : Intel i7-3770K
Motherboard : ASRock Z77 Extreme4 OR Extreme 6
RAM : Corsair DDR3, 16GB (2x8GB), 1600MHz
SSD : Samsung 840 Series PRO 250 GB SSD
Cabinet : Any good cabinet
SMPS : Any good 700watt PSU
CPU cooler: any cooler within $50

I'm NOT planning to install any external graphics card just yet. Also, not all of the parts were available at my local computer shop (I live outside city limit)

So, my dealer gave my this config:
Processor : Intel i7-3770K
Motherboard : Intel DZ75ML-45K
RAM : Corsair DDR3, 16GB (2x8GB), 1600MHz
SSD : Kingston v300 - 240GB (SATA 6gbps)
Cabinet : Corsair 200R
SMPS : Corsair VS650
CPU cooler: any cooler within $50 (probably Antec cooler)

It will cost me approx $1000 (It is cheaper than most online shops, but I may get lower price I search more in local market.) I'll purchase this one on Monday.

My main needs are:
1. It must be able to run multiple threads smoothly (as I program multithreaded apps) - I choose i7 for this
2. It must be able to process small text files very fast (Visual Studio config files, xml and my code files) - I choose SSD for this
3. I don't want to play any modern video game on this - my laptop (has builtin ATI Readon 7xxx card) can run almost all new games in low/med settings - for now I'm happy with it - that's why I haven't included any external graphics card.
4. I don't want to overclock just yet - but maybe in 1 or 2 years - when I'll need more speed, I want to have the option handy - that's why I choose K series processor.

My question is:
Do you guys think the config my dealer gave me will be enough to meet my requirements ?
Do you have any other recommendation ?

--------------
Edit:
Just in case someone from from India can verify the price, here is the price my dealer gave me:

Processor : Intel i7-3770K => Rs 22000/- ($337.22)
Motherboard : Intel DZ75ML-45K => Rs 4800/- ($73.57)
RAM : Corsair DDR3, 16GB (2x8GB), 1600MHz => Rs 11800/- ($180.87)
SSD : Kingston - 240GB (SATA 6gbps) => Rs 12300/- ($188.53)
Cabinet : Corsair 200R => Rs 3800/- ($58.25)
SMPS : Corsair VS650 => Rs 3800/- ($58.25)
WiFi Adapter : D-Link (USB) => Rs 690/- ($10.58)
UPS : Numeric 1000VA => Rs 4700 ($72.04)
CPU Cooler : Antec cooler (don't know the model yet) => Rs. 2500/- ($38.32)

Combined price is a little cheaper than the price I get on flipcart.com.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Why would you choose an i7? Hyperthreading is nowhere near as good as AMD's modules; hyperthreading yields a 1.1x performance gain, over the 1.8x or so of an AMD's bulldozer module (outside of gaming).

An 8350 sounds MUCH more suitable for your needs.

Also, your dealer is REALLY overcharging you. Make it yourself.

PiashC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013

There is no specific reason to choose i7. I am an Intel user for last 13years. So, i7 was my natural choice. However I'll research about AMD's service in my locality and then I'll decide.

About price: I live in India. Here hardware is generally costlier than US price. But you are correct, he may be overcharging. I'll need to check other shops before making final purchase.

As for a cooler, the Cooler Master 212 EVO or 212X ( I think thet replaced the EVO ) would be good and is under $50 USD. Prices do tend to be a bit higher in that part of the world. I have worked with several from India on another Board and I believe it is due to shipping the stuff to India which increases the price. Same with Australia and New Zealand.

PiashC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
@MajinCry: I just did a quick googling for 8350, looks like i7 is better at stock frequency.
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/375/AMD_FX-Series_FX-8350_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770.html
I'm not going to OC this one until I really need the extra speed. (Kinda afraid to push my main workstation until there is another standby comp ready. But, it is a good option for future as the price difference between a K and non-K is less than $50 here)

@coastie65: Yes, I was thinking about 212 EVO too. I found mostly good review of it.

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011

When the graphs have NO information whatsoever on how the charts were generated (which benchmarks, programs, etc.), you should completely ignore them, as they are more often than not false.

The 8350 is the best thing out there for heavily multithreaded tasks. It'll function as an actual 8 core processor outside of gaming (Games almost always use the FPU, which is shared between two 'cores' in an FX module). The more-or-less virtual threads that intel uses (Hyperthreading) don't even come close to the performance of an actual core.

If the value 1 is the performance of a single core in a multithreading-capable program, 1.1 would be the performance of a single core with hyperthreading (usually).

All the i7s really are, are 4/6 cores with some minor modifications to allow programs to make use of spare Hz (Don't ask me to get technical, I don't know the actual science behind it).

With that in mind, the 8350 is perfect for you. Eight cores and is significantly cheaper than an i7.

logainofhades

Titan
FX 8320 would be my choice if you can get one. Costs less and is nothing more than an 8350 with a lower multiplier setting. Match the 8350 multiplier and you are running @ 8350 clock speed with 0 effort and changing nothing else.

PiashC

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Fan:
Yes, I cleaned the fan and I keep the laptop 1" above the table surface to allow better air flow. But still sometimes temp goes above 90C. I'm not worrying about the laptop now, it has 3yr replacement warranty. As the HDD is reporting error in BIOS' SMART test i'll send it for replacement anyway.

AMD vs Intel:
LOL. Now guys...let us not start another Intel vs AMD thread. :D (JK)

I did more search on 8350 and it seems it is better at multithreading but performs slightly less in all other areas.
I'm not an Intel fanboy, I just never considered AMD as an option. As I said before, I live in rural area, so when a part breaks down I depend on local dealers for quick replacement. As
intel is the most used processor in India, it is very easy to get a temporary solution from a friend or from a dealer until you receive the replacement. That's why I think it would be wise to stick with intel for now.

Haswell:
It is currently beyond my budget.