System Powers Off Suddenly!

mikeyoung1201

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
So i recently just upgraded my System. Problem i'm having is every now and then it will shut off and my LED light will flash as if it is in sleep mode. Almost seems like an Overheat issue. The Specs i'm running are below:

MoBo: MSI 970A-G46
CPU: AMD FX-8320
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7850
PSU: Thermaltake 600 Watt
RAM: 10GB

When i first installed it, I had to flash my bios to Ver 2.5 cause the previous bios would shut it down constantly, after about 3 minutes of turning it on. After i flashed my bios it started working a lot better... Now it'll stay power up for about 5 hours. Maybe more it varies.

Its really kind of annoying, Especially in the middle of a game. Ive updated all of my drivers for the motherboard, CPU and GPU. Still same problem persist. MSI told me that my CPU is compatible but only with the 2.5 bios.

Anyone here with same mobo and CPU have the same problem or can help me resolve my on-going problem. Thank in advanced.

Havick88

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
There are as of now two different causes I can thing of for your problems. First one and this one is the more likely of the two is a problem with overheating. You might wish to change the cooling fan of your CPU or reverse some of the fans on your chassis so that you have a positive pressure in the chassis rather than negative, Or better yet both.

The other possibility which is unlikely given what you've mentioned with the running times is the PSU does not supply enough power for the entirety of your system. In which case I would recommend you upgrading it.

Havick88

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
There are as of now two different causes I can thing of for your problems. First one and this one is the more likely of the two is a problem with overheating. You might wish to change the cooling fan of your CPU or reverse some of the fans on your chassis so that you have a positive pressure in the chassis rather than negative, Or better yet both.

The other possibility which is unlikely given what you've mentioned with the running times is the PSU does not supply enough power for the entirety of your system. In which case I would recommend you upgrading it.

mikeyoung1201

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Well i doubt it is an Over heat issue. I've checked my core temps. On idle they are around 12.6-14.00 Degrees C. While i'm playing a game the highest it reaches is about 32.6-40.3 Degrees C.

It could be possible that i don't have enough wattage in my PSU. Cause i know my processor is a 125 Watt CPU and my GPU along requires 500 Watts. So what would you actually recommend a 700 or 750 Watt PSU. Or could this possibly just be a Bricked motherboard.

Thought i would add: System seems to run fine just in idle and doing everyday tasks (Web Browsing, etc...) but seems to shut down after a couple hours of playing a game.

Havick88

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
yea then if those are your power requirements your PSU doesn't cut the bill. a 750 would be the minimum you would need. But that's not the only thing you have to be concerned about. Humidity can affect your power output of the PSU by as much as 200w if your in a high humidity environment like the gulf coast US. I would however recomend an 800-850 watt as that also gives you a bit of room to upgrade things