ASUS Z87-A Won't Pass POST

skibo25

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
My first build: ASUS Z87-A, i5-4670k, MSI GTX-760, Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R, Corsair TX750M.

Turn on the build with everything in and it runs through CPU_LED, RAM_LED, hangs up on GPU_LED, restarts, and then goes all the way through to BOOT_DEVICE_LED and stops there. I tried it without the GPU thinking that might be the problem, and it never passes CPU_LED. Same results with everything in if I try the direct boot to BIOS button.

I ran through The Checklist with no results.

Any ideas, options, suggestions?

skibo25

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
I have no idea what I just did, but it decided to work. I pulled out the wireless card, reset the CMOS, still stopped on the boot device led. Pulled out the GPU as well, reset the CMOS, stopped on the CPU led. Left it for 10 minutes and saw your post, for some reason decided to give it one more go before pulling everything out for a third time and it booted. The boot device LED is still lit though, which scares me a bit. Installing Windows now and am going to update to the latest BIOS and mobo driver before I try putting the wireless card and GPU back in.

Thank you for your response.

*EDIT* Boot device LED no longer on.
*EDIT 2* Yup without a doubt its the GPU. Put the GPU back in, same problem. Take it out, runs fine.

Can you borrow a power supply and test?
If still the same with a diffrent power supply, then try a different graphics card.
If still no go, then try reseating the CPU and checking the CPU socket for bent pins.

skibo25

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Ok, I feel like an idiot.

The monitor I bought with this build was DOA. The only other monitor I had around is a decade old and only has the old style VGA cable port. The 760 doesn't have a port for this, but the mobo did. So I had the monitor plugged into the mobo. It occurred to me late last night that this might be the issue. So I took and HDMI cable and connected it through the GPU to my TV, dropped the GPU's driver CD in the CD drive and viola it booted up no problem.

I still have no idea why it did not boot up the first couple of times I tried it without the GPU, but it appears to be working now. Thank you for the help though.