Change XP from RAID to NON-RAID?

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
What I am running into is that I have a 250GB drive that was part of a RAID 1 array. One drive failed a few YEARS ago, and I have been running on 1 drive ever since.

However, I want to switch to a NON-Raid setup. I changed BIOS, but XP is in a reboot loop. I believe this is because XP still thinks that this is a RAID array, even though it has been 1 drive for a while now.

I wonder how this has been slowing down the system, and wonder if I create an image, and then format the drive as a non raid drive, if a restore would just put XP back to raid and a reboot loop again? I HAVE Macrium Reflect FREE.

Thank you for any ideas.

Any clone will include the setting that XP is missing because its on the disk you told it to ignore by the BIOS settings change. I think you need to take your files and settings off and reinstalll XP on to a single disk in a non-RAID environment to get a proper result.

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
So, if I do a quick install of XP on a single drive, it would not do anything if I put the image back, as the image is set to expect RAID?

The single drive will work with the new installation if the other hard disk is disconnected or just removed. If that second half of the RAID array remains in place, I fear the new installation will have been a waste of time.

mpsan

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Well, the drive WAS part of a RAID 1, so is complete. I wanted to Change BIOS to non RAID, and then do a quick NEW XP Install and it should be fine as a single drive.

HOWEVER, since I have no intention of installing everything, can I then restore the image I took BEFORE I changed to non RAID, or will I just be putting back XP with the OS thinking it is RAID again? I am looking for a quick and easy way to do this and it looks like there is no way!