Is the Asus M5A99x Pro R2.0 and Patriot Viper (8GB) DDR3 PV38G186C0K compatible?

gamer4lif

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I have an Asus M5A99x Pro R2.0 and Patriot Viper (8GB) 1866 DDR3 PV38G186C0K. The ram states that it is Intel tested and approved, I have an AMD-8350. The motherboard does not list this model of ram as compatible. Does this mean it will not work, or that it will not work up to its potential, or does it mean nothing?

The motherboard supports 1866 DDR3 ram.

Thanks!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Are probably fine, most all 8350s can run a pair of 1866 sticks, most all newer sticks are primarily 'tested' on Intel as there aren't really any sticks coming out for AMD, the DRAM makers are concentrating on high freq sticks for their newer designs and AMD is still pretty much stuck at 1866 as the top end, where Intel is pushing on to 3000+ sticks

Knowone39

Reputable
May 2, 2014
I see this is an old question, but I will say this as an add on. Putting any RAM into a Mobo that isn't on the approved vendors list will nullify your warranty. I learned this the hard way, but it wasn't my fault it was on Tiger Direct for bundling incompatible components. Please do yourself a favor and never use anything not approved.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Using appropriate DRAM not on the QVL should not nullify your warranty, if the proper type and of a freq that is supported, the manufacturer may not offer support, but shouldn't void the warranty, now if try and cram DDR2 on a DDR3 mobo and damage something that's different...the QVLs even often mention that the list is but a sampling of available DRAM that will work