Motherboard and CPU Getting Hot

KeenanTW

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
Hello! I was wondering what possible reasons there can be for my motherboard and cpu reaching rather high temperatures all of a sudden. While playing Guild Wars 2 and League and such my mobo goes up to 63 C the max being 69 and my cpu reaches 60 approximately. I cleaned the dust from my computer as much as possible and I know the temperatures are correct. Any knowledge on why this is happening and how to reduce it? Thanks

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Overclocking or messing with the voltages will cause higher than normal temperatures. Try entering your bios and resetting the values to default.

If that does not fix the problem, (depending on your comfort with the hardware) try removing the heat sink from the CPU mount. Clean the existing silver compound off(Thermal Grease) and reapply. This substance basically helps the transfer the heat from the processor to the heat sink. There should be some simple guides on youtube for completing this.

I would also recommend refraining from playing those games, as the operating temperature is dangerously high. If you can, hook me up with the model number for the motherboard as well as the CPU. The motherboard should be printed in white lettering and the CPU you can obtain from within the BIOS. In the meantime, you could also consider liquid cooling or installing more case fans, one as an exhaust at the top (hot air rises) and an intake fan at the bottom.

What sort of program are you using to monitor the operating temperatures? And where is the computer case located? If there is not good air flow around the computer, the fans may be restricted in the air it can use. One last idea, from inside the BIOS, you should be able to see a fan speed setting. If it is set to "auto" see if there is a "full" or "max" option. Just stumbled across this program, it may prove useful for controlling your fan speeds if the BIOS menu does not give the option (www.almico.com/sfdownload.php).

One last thing, keep the side panel off and watch the fans as your computer is operating. Make note of any odd sounds or stutters in movement. Defective or malfunctioning hardware would definitely explain this as well.

Best of luck and look forward to hearing back. - Sub

KeenanTW

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013

Thanks for the response! I run 5 fans in my case so the air flow shouldnt be a problem. It could be my cpu fan which is the stock one that i installed initially, which im replacing soon. Also i use HW Monitor and speccy.