Upgrading lga775 system or build a new one?

I'm currently using a LGA775 system for gaming and I was wondering if I should upgrade it or build a brand new system. Im gaming on a 1440x900 resolution. My current specs are:
Asus P5Q SE PLUS mobo
Intel E7400 Core 2 Duo(OC @ 3.5Ghz)
4Gb kingston DDR2 ram 800mhz
ASUS EN9600GT 512MB GPU
I know the system is very old but is it better to just get a better GPU and add another 4GB of RAM and wait until Haswell systems become less expensive or just build a brand new LGA1155 system? Its a 64bit system and the gpu is too old to run directx 11. The most demanding game i run on this machine would be starcraft 2
Thanks for your help!
Regards, Andrew
5 answers Last reply
More about upgrading lga775 system build
  1. in a system that old i would say its best to go with new.

    of course this depends on your budget.
  2. Much as I love the 775 mobos, think I'd suggest a new rig, could search around and see if you could get a deal on a quad core for 775, better GPU and even more DRAM, but the DRAMs more expensive than DDR3, a newer GPU will be somewhat bottlenecked and also have to run under PCi-E (1) as opposed to the PCI-E 2 or 3 you would prob purchase....might look at a 3570K and decent mobo for a start, would more than likely keep you happy for the next few years and pair it with a decent GPU
  3. Tradesman1 said:
    Much as I love the 775 mobos, think I'd suggest a new rig, could search around and see if you could get a deal on a quad core for 775, better GPU and even more DRAM, but the DRAMs more expensive than DDR3, a newer GPU will be somewhat bottlenecked and also have to run under PCi-E (1) as opposed to the PCI-E 2 or 3 you would prob purchase....might look at a 3570K and decent mobo for a start, would more than likely keep you happy for the next few years and pair it with a decent GPU


    I was thinking about getting a 3570K as well, however I can't spend over 500$ until december... Since this mobo has a PCI-E 2 slot, would I see a big difference if I go for a PCI-E 3 gpu that I could keep for my next system like a GTX650Ti Boost or it would be bottlenecked too much?
  4. The Ti would give a good boost to your current rig for gaming and such and then could be moved into the newer rig, sure
  5. personally i would hold off until december when your budget is larger and do a whole new rig then.

    you might be able to get some of the christmas time deals too!

    you could likely pick up a better gpu at that time as well. depends on if you're willing to wait!
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems LGA775 GPUs