Are there different types of phone line cables?

agagaa

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Hello,

So I recently changed a telephone line in the house from a 30m down to a 5m cable. There was severe cable left bundled with the old cable and now it is a snug fit with the new one.

However, adding the new cable dropped my internet about 600 Kbps from reading the router config.

I was wondering if there was a ADSL2+ version of telephone line, just like there is CAT6 for gigabit. And if so, where do I buy some from/what should I look for on packaging?

Of most important note, the 5m cable is an al'cheapo, $2 shop purchase, but I assumed there was one type of telephone cable.

I also know that there is RJ-11 and RF-12 connectors, with 4 or 6 lines respectively, but my question is effectively, is there a better cable for ADSL2+?

Additionally, there is no cable or fibre so ADSL2+ is my best option.

SirSub42

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
Cheap cabling can cause interference in the data transmission process. If the copper wiring is not properly shielded, or a lower quality material is used in the construction as the case may be with a $2 phone cord. But then again, I have not purchased a phone cord since Dialup in the 90s, so $2 may be the average.

As far as I know, RJ-11 is the industry standard, as such I would assume it is fine for ADSL2+. Cat6 was created out of a need for network communications, while the phone line industry has dwindled. I would try plugging the 30ft back in and test bandwidth again just to double check it is the new line that is affecting speeds and not just an abnormality.