My Sapphire HD-6870 is at 85c. should I be worried?

newby1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I recently got Witcher 2 on steam and have been playing it a lot. but i noticed that my Sapphire HD-6870 is at 85c.
I've also noticed that my CPU is maxing out at 73.0c. while playing the game
Is this normal or am i running to hot and i should be concerned?

Im using a 7 year old dell computer with an
Intel core Q6600
8 GB of ram
Sapphire Radeon HD6870

Kurifox

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Those are way to high temps, even for an old comp, that GPU should be fried : (
You should definitly have someone check that out, the CPU probably needs new paste and a better cooler, the GPU as well. If you dont know how to change pastes, take it to a shop and ask for advice.
You can however open the case and clean all the fans, get rid of the dust. If you have never cleaned it, that should help a litle. BTW what are you using to check the temps.

newby1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

A buddy of mine told me about a program called "open hardware monitor" and i got those temp.
I had been thinking of building my own new rig but don't have the money yet for the major components like CPU and Mobo but i found the case i had been eyeing (the Antec P280) at FRYS for like 50% off so i bought it. i then switched everything out to the new case and cleaned out all the dust. it was quite a lot. while i was ad it i took your advise and applied some arctic silver 5 tot he cpu. i just ran a quick 30 minute test on witcher and got lower temps everywhere. cpu peaked at 65c and my gpu didnt get past 73c. are these temps good now or are they still too high?

Kurifox

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

Those are still way to high, so you have an idea, the CPU and gpu temps should be 15 20º over the room temperature, so anything over 50 is a bit high, i never heard of the software, i guess you should start the bios and see what it says there.
edit: after a bit of reading the software seems to be reliable, i guess the pc is just getting to old for the job.

newby1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Looks like I'm going to have to look into starting my build sooner rather than later. Thank you for your help. i guess 7 years is long enough to wait between buying computers. my Dell Inspiron 530 served its purpose... now to decide what i will bye...

Kurifox

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

If you give me a budget i will gladly give you a fair idea of what a good build is like, so you can have a startup point.

newby1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
After a lot of online research i ended up buying a few thing online and not have a new Motherboard, cpu, cpu fan, and ram.
I picked the Asus Maximus VI Hero, mainly because I liked how it looks more than the Z87-pro and i was more into the better sound than the extra wireless features.
I got the Haswell i5-4670k in case i decide to overclock in the future.
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo cuz it was cheap for the performance.
and 1 Kingstone HyperX black 8gb ddr3-1600
I figured ill keep my GPU until i have more money to upgrade in the future. also i thought I'd reuse my PSU until I have money to buy something worth getting. my PSU is a Antec trio 650w my only concern with it is that i think i read somewhere that it may not be compatible with Haswell's powersaving idle mode.
Now i just cant decide if I should buy Win-7 or Win-8. I've seen a lot of bad press on win-8 but i really don't get why
Let me know what you think. THANKS!