Need Help With choosing a SSD

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Hi,
I would like to upgrade to a SSD for my windows Installation and Steam games, Which both equate to 210GB

I will be using Windows 7 (I Currently use Windows 8 but want to revert back to 7)
I don't exactly know my budget yet, until I get a few Suggestions.

Here's My Spec:

Processor- AMD Athlon X4 645
Motherboard- ASUS M4A78LT-M
RAM- X2 4GB DDR3 (Partriot)
Power Supply - XFX 450W
Hard Drive: seagate Barracuda 1TB
Graphics Card: ASUS HD 7790

Thanks

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
This is probably a stupid question. Does read/write affect how well games play? Or Just how fast transferring data is.

In general, faster R/W does not affect gameplay. It only matters when loading the game or loading new features/maps.

You want to put your most frequently used/accessed programs and games. For movies/photos/infrequently used games, put them on your data (HDD) drive. Keep in mind that you need to allow at least 15% free space at all times on an SSD for headroom/over-provisioning.

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

OK, Thanks. I don't think I'll put all my games on it, Maybe 120GB Is sufficient.

Just be sure to keep track of your free space and don't put too much on it! Here is a good article on optimizing an SSD in Win 7 & Win 8: http://www.thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Your first link does not work, so I cannot say.

Here is some more Samsung comparison data: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-review-1tb-ssd,3567.html

Yogi

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Sorry
The first link was The Samsung 840 Pro.
Hmm, Now I don't know which, The Pro or Evo. The pro is slightly cheaper faster, but using an older NAND.

Not only is the Pro faster and cheaper but it also has a 5 yr. warranty compared to 3 yr. for the EVO.

I just bought a Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB SSD for the system in my sig but I'm having some MB problems and have not installed it yet. Nothing that I have seen has led me to regret my buying decision.

Yogi

Chris _

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

Yea I think I might go for the pro, there's not much difference in them, and it's cheaper.
Thanks for your help :)

You're welcome!

Yogi