Extracting individual files from a Win 7 System Image DVD set.

earlyriser09

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I have a system image for a Windows 7 machine on DVD. The laptop it came from is no longer available, and there are several files on the system image I want to restore to another machine. I have tried to use Computer Management to mount the VHD which fails, with an error about file type limitations--presumably because its on DVD. Is there anyway to recover these files from the DVD system image set? Thanks!

earlyriser09

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Thanks, had tried that approach. Everything is healthy on the DVD, but when I try to mount the VHD file on disk 1 of the set, I get the following error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation. Not very descriptive but I am assuming because its a DVD set, not a real HD? I am wondering if there is anyway to convert the multi-disk set into a single image on a HDD?

earlyriser09

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I tried to restore the DVD set to another laptop that had a clean HDD (no image) and that failed--probably because the HDD was not the same size as the machine the image was taken from. Is there a way to use that system image to restore to an external USB drive?