No boot, no BIOS, only black screen

wpollock

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I have an HP G72 laptop. A few days ago I was thinking about installing
ubuntu. I booted from the LiveUSB. For some reason or another, I'm claiming temporary insanity, when the 'Try Ubuntu' screen came up, Ipressed the power button on the latop instead of going through the restart option.

Now the laptop will not boot from the hard drive. It shows no BIOS or anything, just a black screen. The fan is running, the wifi light is lit, the number lock is lit but the screen is totally blank. I connected an external monitor and it doesn't show anything either.

However, if I put the Ubuntu Live USB in, the external monitor will show Ubuntu.

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

wpollock

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

I tried to boot from a Windows 7 usb but it would not even show anything on the external monitor much less the laptop screen.

wpollock

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

Did that. No luck. Laptop is fresh out of warranty.

wpollock

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013

For some strange reason, the system would boot into ubuntu if I connected an external monitor. It even let me install ubuntu onto a drive. But for some other strange reason, the internal monitor still wouldn't work even if I hit the F4 key to switch between internal and external monitor.

On a complete and total lark I took the system totally apart and put it back together and it started working like it is supposed to.