Buy the Radeon 7950 or GTX 660ti?

Amaru999

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
I've recently been looking into buying new GPU, CPU, and Mobo to update my current gaming pc. I was almost solid on my decision to buy the 7950 after reading through lots of reviews about how good it is for its price. But recently I've been seeing a lot of bad reviews from people who've actually bought it saying it failed on them not too long after owning it. Or that they recieved it DOA or with dents, scratches etc. and heating issues. There seems to be alot of people writing about this and it makes me very apprehensive about buying it even though it is good bang for your buck(which matters to me a great deal). So because of this I am considering buying a 660ti or GPU with similar performance levels. Is there really that much of a difference between these 2 cards? Can anyone recommend any others that I hopefully won't have to deal with RMA's on? Good, trusted and reliable pieces of hardware?

I will also be buying a core i5-4670 processor and ECS H87H3-M mobo. I have a Corsair TX750 PSU and 4gb ddr3 ram, 1600x900 display from my old rig which I will be using for the new.

iblowuup

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Get the HD 7950. Problems with the cards are not because of the GPU (Hd 7950) but are usually because of the manufacturer (MSI, Sapphire). Really though if you are worried just order it from a site that has a good return policy (Newegg, Amazon).

Amaru999

Honorable
Sep 8, 2013
Ok with that being the case do you have any suggestions as far as which would be a more reliable manufacturer? The reviews I read were from new egg and some from amazon. It seems that either way I'm taking a chance :??:

iblowuup

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

+1 I would also recommend XFX as I have one currently in my PC and it works great. Those negative reviews are likely anomalies or people mistreating their product. People often leave reviews if there is a problem and don't bother with it if everything works fine which can skew the ratings.

thdarkshadow

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
I own a 7950 made by sapphire (dual-X) and it works great. I have heard the 7950 by xfx is good too just the sapphire supposedly is a few degrees cooler. I would avoid the one by gigabyte as it is voltage locked so you can not hardly overclock it but other than that any 7950 with two or more fans should be good

I agree here too, the sapphire is better, but I have a XFX card, not the 7950 specifically but mine is cool and quiet, so I have no issues with XFX either.