Radeon HD 7850 with my current PSU ?

kshamshad

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I'm planning to buy a Radeon HD 7850 soon but was just wondering whether it will work with my current PSU.
XTech P4-550W
XT-550-24 ATX 2.0

INPUT 115V 8A 50/60Hz
240V 4A 50/60Hz

OUTPUT +3.3V +5V +12V -5V -12V +5VSB
30A 33A 24A 0A 0.5A 2.0A

550W MAX
My PC Specs: AMD Phenom II X4 B60 3.30GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM (2x4GB)
500GB HDD
DVDRW
4 x 80mm fan + a 120mm fan

Will my current PSU be sufficient or should i consider purchasing a new one?

StephenP85

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013

If I'm reading your post correctly, there's only 24Amps available on the +12v rail, meaning only half of your PSU's rated wattage is going to be available on that rail at its peak, which is the rail that delivers 90% of the power your components need. 24A is the absolute minimum for that card, and a disproportionate amount of amperage is wasted on the other rails. This in itself is a sign of a poor quality PSU with dubiously advertised wattages. It doesn't help that I've never even heard of that brand.

You absolutely need to get a new PSU made by a top quality manufacturer with the vast majority of amperage devoted to the +12v rail. That is of the utmost importance, behind actually using a reputable brand/manufacturer. The PSU you have runs a very high risk of overheating, burning, and possibly taking a component or two with it.

Even this Corsair CX600, which is mediocre as far as quality goes, would be miles above what you have now: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m

For a few more dollars, I'd recommend this XFX PSU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1650snlb9 Notice the amperage on the +12v rail. In addition, it's made by Seasonic, one of the most reputable PSU manufacturers in the industry. The only drawback is that it's not modular, but I doubt the one you're using is, either. The XFX and Corsair are 80-plus bronze certified, and will operate far more efficiently than your current PSU ever would anyway, but having double the required amperage means it will be at peak efficiency when you're putting a considerable load on it (i.e. gaming).

With your current PSU, the minute you fired up a game, you'd be stressing the PSU to its fullest extent, and stressing poor-quality components is never a good thing. If it didn't overheat and burn out, it would at the very least simply shut off.