Q6600 Overheating with both stock and miniTyphoon HS

binzia

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
I've been using a Q6600 2.4Ghz processor with an ordinary chasis for approximately 5 years. Except for last 6 months, it went fine. Average idle temp were 36C and max 90C(Full LOAD) with stock HS.

But 6 months ago, it suddenly rose to idle 55-60C. even when cpu load is 25%,the temp goes ~90C. When 100% working, its 100C but never shuts down due to high temp.

As thinking it as stock HS limitation, I replaced it with Thermaltake miniTyphoon HS but the condition didn't change a bit. Still my idle temp ~60C, under 25% load little under 90C and when 100% workin,around 100C.
i didn't replace the thermal paste as I didnt have any while replacing HS but there was enough in the processor I think. but anyway, I've already bought some and will apply whenever get chance(I take help from an expert).
please note, I live in Bangladesh and there's no way to find branded pastes.

I would be happy if anyone can find the reason behind. Is it the thermal paste? or temp reading diode has gone wrong?

kookie3010

Honorable

Try using a physical thermometer and check the cpu temp.what is ur PSU?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Clean off the old paste and reapply new paste. Doesnt matter what brand, just apply it correctly.

Had exactly the same thing the other day with a friends i5, the original paste got old and it the contact wasnt good, so it would overheat. I cleaned it off with white sprit, reapplyed some spare paste I had and all is now fine.

binzia

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
Thanks for the advice. my psu is space 400 watt.
Btw strange thing is,while removing the HS, my mobo (Intel DG35EC) suddenly stopped respondin. while testing the cpu+psu on a Gigabyte G41 combo moBo, I found the idle temp is between 36C-32C with a stock HS(not my one,another slightly heavier one). So, the prob was on my mobo actually!!
anyway,i changed the mobo, bought a gigabyte G41 combo and now the idle temp is 44-37c (I expcted better :( !! )
but the problem is, while running prime95,temp went high as 100C!!!
i dont know what to do now... :/