Needing help completing a Gaming PC/Canada/$1800 Budget

Mounce

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hello! I'm looking for help in finding what parts everyone here thinks would be the most optimum to use to build a PC. I'm hoping for something that is Futureproof and looking for good advice on specific things I've not fully gotten accomplished. I'd be a bit on the amateur side on finding parts that are relevant since the last 5 years I've own an Asus G73JH-A1 Laptop which....feels as if it's about to kick the bucket as it keeps making deathly-grinding and moaning noises. I have the money and we have the technology so I can build a new computer.

I live in Canada, and my budget is essentially $1500 to $2000, I have it left within that range because I'd be unsure which would be more decisive on what would be good enough for a gaming PC without it breaching into the unnecessary boundaries.

This will be mostly for gaming and I have a list of parts I've so far found through others helping me Partially, but not fully and so I'm left half-done and needing someone who knows what they're talking about to help finalize what parts I need or which could be better.

I'm using http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ to find parts and the final things I need help on essentially are:

-What kind of Tower with great cooling capabilities should I select
-To Liquid Cooling or not to use Liquid Cooling?
-Network card/wifi-enabled that is of good quality.
-and if the motherboard should be replaced by something that at the very least allows 2 slots for Dual-GPU(3-4 slots probably not needed) and one that can support the RAM I've so far found and is overall just a better price. If anyone has any questions or anything that would let them understand better how it is that you could help me, I'll be glad to help in any way I can. I just really wish to finish this so I can get cracking!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($195.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($233.80 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($140.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($97.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1324.72
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-10 00:12 EDT-0400)

i hope you live in markham because ncix has a warehouse sale on saturday

this is what id generally get
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1C6ix

for the parts list

-intel is better. there is no denying or if or buts.
-the motherboard is the best value for the money. no reason to spend a ton on a board that does nothing better
-i wouldnt waste my time with a first gen 840. the 840 evo is nice, but the price isnt right
-hard drive can be price matched because newegg shipping is stupid
-better psu

at the warehouse sale

-a gtx 670 4gb (although 4gb cards are stupid) is 199.99 at the warehouse sale
-the d14 from what i know should be available for a pretty low price
-fractal cases are generally 50 bucks so pick that up as well
-hard drives are relatively cheap as well (they are factory refurb)
-if you can find a i5 3570k or 3770k for cheap, pick that up instead of the haswell parts. then go find a good z77 board such as the z77-v LK (should be a ton of those for 70 ish bucks), the z77x-ud3h (should also be a ton of those for 80ish), or maybe a higher end asus board such as the sabertooth (although they are terrible values at retail, they are found for 120 dollars or so)

also note that if you are the first 25 to lineup, you do get a prize pack which includes things such as a 500gb hard drive the last time i checked

Mounce

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

I don't live near Markham, and I'd be having to order all parts online. :(

Why is Intel better though? Like, how would the 3.4GHz 'Quad' Core be better than a 4.0GHz 8 Core? Intel CPU's just seem to be always overpriced in comparison.

The SSD's both offer essentially the same capabilities/speed and the prices are relatively the same and the same size, how is the Sandisk Ultra better?

you cant compare amd and intel cores. it doesnt work like that anymore. lets say a amd "core" is around 40-50% as powerful as a intel core depending on what you do

its better because its cheaper per gb, it has 3000 write cycles vs the 1000 (although either way they will last a long time), and the sandisk has a higher write speed overall compared to the 840

id get this
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/1C9Zj

-as before, price match everything at ncix or if its from directcanada, just buy it there as they have free shipping
-the OS is avaliable at directcanada for cheaper as well