Workstation opinion needed! Please help?!

Mohak Chotrani

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I'm very fixated on buying the HP Z1 workstation (Though if you'll have a better suggestion, I'm open to that too). This is gonna be a bit detailed, so sorry in advance! ;)

So, the dilemma starts with an individual project, that I'm doing, that needs to be finished fast, as well as have good quality. So I try making custom builds, and I'm stumped! The reason: I don't know all the fancy details about cooling, water cooling and I still cannot understand how RPM got involved with computers (I'm more of a programming and multimedia guy, never even looked inside my CPU) So I break my head over it and finally find a good product for myself: The HP Z1. I thought, I'll buy it and be on my merry way, but Hardware once again stumped me.

So, I go to PC part picker and see the costs of the different parts (My budget is a maximum $2500) And I get up to here

Before I go on further, here are the things that I am gonna be doing:
1.A LOT of After Effects, Sony Vegas Pro, 3DS Max, Realflow, VRay and other CG programs.
2. Quite a fair bit of gaming.
3. Moderate use of Photoshop

So, now I have a few questions:
1. Will the Quadro 4000 or the Quadro K4000M be faster and better? (PC part picker doesn't list the K4000M)
2. If later I want to put a Geforce GTX 680/Titan, will they be compatible? If yes, can I do this, when I'm gaming, I put in the Geforce and when I'm doing work, I put in the Quadro? (While the other card is wound in a handkerchief)
3. How long can I leave it switched on (I'm asking since it is an AIO), while at 100% CPU and GPU usage, without frying it?

That's nearly all the problems for now. I'll be extremely glad if someone can help me.

It's been a long time since I started this thread, can someone, please help?

Gary Price

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Gaming and photoshop on the same computer is not the best idea, but from the sounds of it you will be doing enough gaming that you should get a Nvidia gtx 780. I would not combine the Quatro with a gtx because the Quatro has ecc where gtx does not. Ecc is not too much slower but it will negatively effect any games you play. I would say to get a 2011v3 socket mobo and a i7 cpu because Xeon will do the same to your games as the Quatro does. Grab you a good ssd or 4 like the m500. If you Sli your cards get a antec 850w or 100w psu. Your motherboard should come with a list of components that work best and you can download it from the manufacturer. I prefer Asus but there are lots of good companies today. Just don't use Biostar lol