computer keeps randomly restarting

alexis232

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hello there. 3 weeks ago i build my own gaming computer and everything was running fine without any errors, restarts etc... But 5 days ago after i woke up and started my computer it suddenly restarted in windows mode, the next restart happened the same day in the evening was just browsing the net (fb,yt,google). So i ran memtest first it restarted after 5minits, tried it again for 12 hours and it went wihtout errors or restarts. Next was prime95+furmark for 1hour cpu didnt reach 60'c gpu went to 75'c wihtout problems.. After reading so many forums i really dont know what else to do.

system specs:
i5 4670 stock cooler
evga geforce gtx 770 sc acx 2gb
2x 4gb corsair vengeance 1866mhz
s-1150 asus z87-k (c2),atx
corsair cx600w v2, 80plus-bronze
hdd wd green 1tb sata3 64mb wd10ezrx

error msg:
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 10.9.2013 16:07:39
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: aleksande-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-10T14:07:39.351608500Z" />
<EventRecordID>12812</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>aleksande-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

sry for bad english

edit1: keeps reseting in world of warcraft after 10min in game
edit2: bios, graphic, sound drivers up to date

Memtest and HDD diagnostics often don't find problems. this sounds like a power supply or RAM problem. Your PSU is the minimum amount of power for your system, but should still work o.k.
That said, do you have access to another known good, working power supply that you could swap into your PC and try; if you are able to do this, and the PC runs without errors and shutdowns, then your new PSU is bad (yes, it does happen; I've had it happen).
HOWEVER, recent experience suggests to me that it is your RAM. Since your mobo supports that speed at an overclocked setting, check your bios to be sure it is set properly. If it is recognizing the RAM at 1866 and the problem persists (it probably will) the try default settings in the Bios. If that doesn't clear the problem, and doesn't reduce the speed of the ram, then it is time for the lengthy process of finding out which RAM stick is bad.
Shut down, unplug the power supply, wait at least 30 seconds, and remove one RAM stick. (Look in your manual, you want to leave the single stick in whatever slot it tells you to use for a single stick). Power up and run your computer normally for a couple days.
IF IT WON't run, then go through the process again and use the other stick of RAM.
If it still won't run properly, move that stick to another slot and see if it works.
If it still won't run properly, and you checked your PSU as above, then you may have a bad mobo. It is really rare to have two sticks of RAM fail at once, UNless there was a power surge and/or the PSU went bad.

alexis232

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
wouldnt the psu fail alrdy when i was runing prime+furmark together ?
was doing a memtest with only 1 ram and went to the gym when i came home it restarted gonna try the other one now
And how do i know if the motherboard is damaged?

edit1: ok its not the rams fault it reseted when i went on youtube lol
edit2: reinstaling os maybe theres a viros or something ;<
edit3: restarted again after reinstaling os ;(

To answer you first question re. PSU. Maybe/maybe not. If the psu has an intermittent fault it might not fail during those tests. As said, the only really good way to test the PSU is to temporarily replace it.
#2: You stated that it rebooted while on youTube: To me this says that when the video card is drawing power (displaying a game or streaming video) that either the PSU can't meet the power demand (probable) or the video card is defective.
Might be worth the time and trouble, at this point, to contact EVGA tech support.
DOUBT that it is a virus or bad OS install. Talk to EVGA and try another PSU in the system.
And it could still be the RAM. You stated that your PC restarted when you got home: Do you mean it restarted on it own or that you restarted it? If it restarted on it's own, did it do so with the other stick of RAM?