If i bond 2 internet connections, 1 being static and the other being dynamic IP's, will the resulting connection be static or

Jooooles_p

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
If i bond 2 internet connections, 1 being static and the other being dynamic IP's, will the resulting connection be static or

There is no way to actually bond internet connections other than using one of the VPN services that offer this. Like any vpn the ip you get will be up to the hosting service you are buying from.

This form of bonding does not really work all that well. Because the latency will be different , many times greatly different, you get all kinds of issues related to packets being out of order. Either the software will delay and "try" to reorder the packets or you will put that burden on the end applications which tend to drop sessions when they get too many out of order which they interpret as loss.

Jooooles_p

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

We currently have 2 BT broadband lines bonded, but as we are in the back end of nowhere, it is still slow, 1.4mb upload. I have been talknig to a guy, and he can get us satellite broadband, but the max they allow is 125gb data a month, and we use twice that, so i was wanting to bond those together as we did our bt ones (not sure how it was done, our it consultant did it). To save money, i was going to get 1 business one (125gb static ip) , and one private one (unlimited, dynamic IP) and see what happened! But we do need a static ip here. Dilemma!

If the ISP themselves bond 2 paths they can do it at the layer 2 level and it generally works well.

Satellite is the absolute worst possible case to try to bond to another path. The latency is close to 10times higher than most broadband connections. Even if the ISP were to try it they would fail. With 2 ISP you must do it yourself (ie you must use a vpn service) but there is little chance this will work.

The only actual option you have is to use one of the many dual ISP routers on the market. A older one is cisco rv042. You can also use a dd-wrt router to do this but it is not a simple configurations. Of course if you want it simple and you have lots of money a F5 load balancer is the most powerful and easy to use. In any case what you need to do is decide what kinds of traffic should go over each link. You could say traffic to certain sites uses the satellite and other sites use the broadband. You would have to get list of IP addresses you want to go over each. The F5 of course can determine load and dynamically move it but these cost as much as a small car does.

This is not actually bonding this is load balancing....bonding is sorta load balancing but is generally done at layer 2.

Urumiko

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2013
bill001g is correct, you are talking about load balancing / pollicy based routing etc, line bonding is an ISP thing.
You should be able to ring up BT and ask them for a quote for a guaranteed bandwidth business line without involving an external consultant.

I assume you are a business not a home user?
Can you comment on what you are currently paying/can afford?
you seem concerned with upload? this suggests you are hosting something? adsl products typically have poor upload speeds compared to download.
Can I ask what services you are using your connection for and roughly how much data you are using for them, this may help us comment better on the viability of satellite etc, or perhaps external hosting, or more efficient use of some services.