UPNP and DLNA

JeffWScott

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I would like to push content from my NAS (QNAP) to my XBOX and be able to do that via my cell phone. I don't want the stream to actaully pass through my phone, I just want to direct the stream from NAS to XBOX.

My question is, what technologies are involved here? UPNP? DLNA? How do they differ?

What do I need to setup to be able to do this? You can explain it to me like i'm a 12 year old, I won't get offended.

You can't do that, you can get the XBOX to see the NAS if it has a media player capability, but you can't use your phone to send files to the XBOX. Best setup would be to use the XBOX as a Media Center Extender which will allow you to stream the files form a Media Center computer setup to the XBOX. Lots of info how to setup streaming to an XBOX. http://www.bing.com/search?q=xbox+media+streaming&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IE8SRC

It's actually one of the reasons I picked an XBOX 360 over the PS3 due to it's better working with networked files.

JeffWScott

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm really asking because I'm getting ready for Xbox One. I like the idea of hooking my Satellite box into it and not having to switch inputs on the receiver. But to truly go to "One" device I would need the other component to my setup, which is pushing files from my NAS to the Xbox (I currently use XBMC on an HTPC). Most of the files are MKV files, which Xbox does not support.

I did buy a copy of WMC for Windows8 when it was cheap... should I be going in this direction? I could run it in a virtual Windows 8 session on my server or maybe inside Home Server.

What is your setup like, and what are you thoughts?

You can use Media Center on the computer as a hub, or a network media streaming device with an external drive capability. I don't know if any media players can use network stroage or only a local drive.

I do know that XBOX has a Media Center option to connect to, which is what I did. I use Windows 7 Media Center, set it up for sharing my movies and music, and the XBOX picks it up. Only drawback is that I need to leave the PC on to do that, but since it's often on and used by someone, that's not a big deal.

I don't know details about how the new XBOX will be connecting or what you can do with it, it may be able to map a network drive itself to read media from.