SSD Help needed

StuartDennis

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hi, I'm a computer building newbie
I currently have a 32bit version of windows 8 installed on my computer but I'm going to do a clean install of the 64bit version onto a sdd and then transfer WOW onto it as well.
My question is is this an easy process? And will I loose all my data I have on my hdd?
Thankyou for any replies

P.s. I'm only upgrading to a 64bit windows 8 because currently I have 12gb ram installed but only 3gb useable and I read that going to 64bit could solve this problem?

As I said a tech newbie :)

G

Hey StuartDennis,

Should be no problem. If you have a way to connect your current hard drive to your computer AFTER you've installed the SSD (and windows 8 64-bit onto it), it will be very easy. You can do this with an external drive enclosure, or a 'drive dock', like this one.

Regardless, I'd start by removing your old hard drive from your computer and replacing it with your new SSD. Then, I'd install windows 8 64-bit on the fresh SSD. After installing and updating drivers/software, if you have your external enclosure/drive dock, you can simply hook up your old Hard drive and copy/paste your WoW folder from that hard drive onto your new SSD. If you DON'T have an external enclosure/drive dock, you'll need to plug the hard drive into your computer ALONG WITH the SSD, and then go into your BIOS settings at bootup to ensure that you'll be booting to the SSD BEFORE trying to boot to the hard drive.

Hopefully that makes some sense. Good luck!

P.S. Yup, the limitation on RAM usage is that of the OS. Moving to a 64-bit OS will allow SUBSTANTIALLY more RAM to be used.

StuartDennis

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hi Matt, thanks for the detailed reply :)
just another question, once i have installed my OS onto the SSD and reinstalled my HDD and set things up on the BIOS, can i still use my HDD? For things like documents, pictures etc. And for other programmes i don't use much like itunes? Or does everything have to be transferred over the the SSD and then bin my old HDD?

if any of that makes sense :)
Thankyou again :)