Patriot Pyro SE RMA - What happens when THEY fail...

G

So, let me start by saying that as an IT/IS professional, I've never had a good experience with Patriot Memory. I've purchased DRAM modules before only to have them show up DOA, usb flash drives that failed after less than 6 months of minimal use, and no less than 2 failed SSDs (both of which were Pyro SE models). I also realize that defective products are not unique to any one manufacturer, and that sometimes you just have bad luck. However...

I finally decided to request an RMA for a 240GB Pyro SE drive. I met with no resistance/questioning regarding the mode of failure, or what other components were involved, what troubleshooting I'd done, etc. I was simply given an RMA number and told to ship to the given address, which I did.

After receiving my shipment, a rep got back to me and asked me if I wanted one of the other Patriot products in their line up as a replacement, as they had no 240GB replacement Sata III SSDs in stock. I replied back that I had no use for anything else - I just wanted 'a' 240GB Sata III SSD, or something better if they couldn't make that happen (pretty customary for electronics vendors in my experience). I then got a reply stating the availability of any Sata III 240/256GB SSDs was uncertain at best, and was then prompted to please let them (Patriot RMA dept.) know how I'd 'like to proceed so that the ticket can be closed.'

I was offered 2x120GB Sata III SSDs (of some kind - no part number or model was listed), or a 256 Torqx 2 Sata II SSD, or one of their new Aero wireless HDDs as replacement/fulfillment of warranty terms. I eventually decided to go with 2x120GB Sata III drives, because I figured they'd be easier to sell than an older 256GB Sata II drive.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with other vendors? Has anyone had a more enjoyable experience with Patriot? What would you have done in this situation? Also, how do such experiences shape your allegiances with particular manufacturers?

For me, the biggest difference between a 'reputable' brand and the rest of the crowd is how they handle their customers when their products fail to measure up. While I compliment Patriot swiftly issuing my RMA #, I am pretty disgusted with my current situation. Adding it to the other experiences I have with Patriot Memory, I feel pretty good about discouraging my friends and family from purchasing their products.

G

Well, that's good. Like I said, sometimes you just get some bad luck. But all electronics will fail at some point, and if you're lucky enough for that to happen while they're still under warranty, you might expect something better than "Oh, well we don't have those, and don't know when we will. Why don't you just take some of this other stuff we have and call it even? And be quick about it, we don't want this whole 'satisfying the customer' thing to take too long."

Granted, that's a bit of putting words in their mouths, but I'm not far off from what was actually written back to me (which I've kept). And if ALL electronics break, wouldn't you like your in-warranty RMA request to go a bit better than that?

TRENDING THREADS