Can I crossfire a XFX 7770 and a Sapphire HD7970 together?

bindeDk

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
I have been running a Sapphire HD 7970 for about ten months, until I accidently spilled some coolant on it yesterday and not aware I did, I started my system up resulting in failure. Needing to get my system up in a hurry, i went to Best Buy and bought XFX 7770 to get me by until i get my 7970 fixed. ONCE getting the 7970 back, can I crossfire the two together?

no, has to be same models and even same chip codenames to crossfire. besides the 7970 is like a top of the line card, the 7770 is a budget $100 card. the 7770 would bottleneck it so bad even if they could.

bindeDk

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

Thank you...I was afraid of this, and no big deal....my biggest concern is going to be cost to repair my 7970....NOT a cheap card. Im actually going to wait another day or two, allowing ample dry time, and try the card again before sending it off for repairs. FINGERS CROSSED

For the most part they have to be the same cards, but different makers are fine. There are a few exceptions listed here:http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Illustrations/WebBannerJPEG/AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg Yours are not one of them.