Building a home server

Xird

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
** Sorry if this is placed in the wrong thread, but the subject is going to touch on network attached storage, so i hope it will be fine **

First of Hi! I'm Mark from Denmark. So any language barriers and shortcomings is because of this, i hope you can still mange to piece together the full intent of this post.

Question #1:
I'm currently looking to build a server. I'm fairly well versed in hardware lingo, specs etc but far from perfect and truth be told I'm looking for a real egg head to help me right my wrongs or push me in the right direction.

I have never played around with anything server-like before (20 minutes total on WHS2011). But now I'm looking to build my own, to increase my knowledge base and have some fun fiddling / building / tweaking.

Requirements:

• Running Minecraft server (10-20 players)
    Running Plex media server
    Running Ventrilo (25+ slots)
    Transcoding video
    FTP server
    Video/music/picture streaming to two network devices
maybe more should i find a need (meaning i want an upgrade-able system with a fair amount of headroom)

Price range: 1000-1300 USD OR 1000-1300 EURO if purchased in Europe.
I don't mind spending my maximum amount if the system provides me more longevity, reliability, upgrade-ability or (noticeable) performance. But I'm still looking to save a few bucks as everyone else.

What I have:

• 1 Western Digital Live
    1 HTPC
    TRENDnet TEW-633GR Router (Gigabit)
    40Mb / 4Mb Internet connection (Cable)
    CAT6 gold ethernet cable to every room/device

Hardware I've looked at so far: Thoughts?

Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
Motherboard: ASUS P9D-C
Memory: 2x Kingston ValueSRV DDR3-1600-SC 8GB
Hard-drive(Boot): Samsung EVO 120GB SSD
Hard-drive(Storage): 4x Western Digital Red (2 TB)
Chassis: ??
Power Supply: Corsair CX430
Operating system: Windows server 2012

With thought to also (later):
Raidcontroller: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i
Hotswap: ??
Capture card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD

Question #2:
Does WHS2011 really NOT support 16GB RAM?

Question #3:
I don't mind paying for more performance than i need if i get the 24/7 reliability in "server-grade" hardware, such as the CPU, MB, RAM(they are ECC) and HDDs (WD Red). But does it make a diffrence.

Question #4:
Need a suggestion for a Case for my build. I'd like features such as hot-swap (SATA-600) and USB 3.0 but if the case you recommend doesn't have that my next question would be if you could recommend e.g a front panel USB or Hot-Swap cage for my drives.

Question #5:
Recommendations for an always-on (24/7) power supply?
Any recommendations/do's and don't's are much appreciated.

Question #6:
i realize most people use old parts from their PCs for home servers, I don't have any old unused parts. Am i insane for wanting to spend money on a server that I'm not (yet) qualified to utilize fully? Should i start smaller?

Hope one or two of you out there hears my plea and is able to take a minute (or thirty, given the length of this post) to help me out. It would be very much appreciated and I'd be very grateful!

Thank you in advance

Mark

cars12345

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I can answer one of your questions. I have not dealt with servers that much, so I will leave this for others to answer.

2. Yes, WHS2011 has a max of 8GB of recognizable RAM.