Hi, I'm trying to install a new graphics card into my computer, it's a radeon hd7770, with a 350W power supply, MSI NF725m-p43

schulace

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I have a VGA monitor hooked up to a DVI adapter. It is plugged into the correct DVI for conversion to VGA, so don't suggest switching the port. When I power on the computer, my fans start to run, the hard drive spins, and the computer makes one short beep. The fan on the GPU runs at what sounds like full speed (it is louder than my CPU fan) but I get no image on my monitor.

schulace

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
I am not inclined to think that it is a power supply problem, and I could be totally wrong about this, but if there were a power problem, wouldn't it not be able to run the fan at such high speed?

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
i doubt its your psu(although you really need to get a new one, i am willing to bet that you psu would fall flat in a game with this card.) usually if a psu is overloaded, it will just trip itself out. try using a dvi monitor with it(without any adaapters)

d4z

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013

what motherboard do you have? make sure your bios is up to date

schulace

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

I do not happen to have any other monitor that I can hook this pc up to. I have not tried a bios update yet, but am planning on doing so. Also, could the source of my problem be that the slot in my motherboard is pci version 1.0 and the card is version 3.0?

d4z

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
That might be it, my brother bought a 650ti that is pci 3.0, had a motherboard that was 2.0 and the computer would keep restarting after it POSTS. He updated the BIOS and it worked after that

schulace

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

as I said earlier, I am using a sort of old MSI motherboard. I used their live updater software, and now the card's fan does not run so noisily, but I still get no image upon booting. still the same beep at startup and then nothing. is using a live updater different from flashing the BIOS?

MSI's Live Update has many functions. It can update various drivers, utilities and, sometimes, even the BIOS. I would strongly recommend that you DO NOT use Live Update to update the BIOS as this has been shown to be very unreliable and has a good chance of bricking your MB. Go here for the MSI Forum BIOS Flashing Tool: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=116721.0

Yogi

schulace

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
well, I feel like a complete dumbass. since i have a very small computer, and the radeon hd 7770 is a kind of big card, the GPU was over my hard drive SATA cables, preventing it from being plugged in all the way. it is not running just fine. Thank you all for your help, and sorry to waste your time talking about drivers and BIOS and PSUs and stuff like that, when it was just me being plain stupid. (i plugged in my hard drive to another slot)