FIXED!!! GTX 780 Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

READ THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL SOLUTIONS:

Hi everyone, I'm posting this in hopes of helping some of you out with the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem, specifically with the Nvidia gtx 780 card. It took about 2 months to find this solution. During heavy workload, my monitor would shut off for a few seconds, and when it recovered it would display that message then crash a few minutes later, and sometimes also a 0x000000C5 BSOD.

Before doing this method, try these first:
-uninstall graphics driver, remove registries, then do a clean install
-set the power options in windows to Performance (no monitor sleep, no hardrive sleep, etc)
-settings in Nvidia control panel to Performance, instead of Adaptive.

Finally... these next TWO are the less common but possibly more effective solutions.

After following this, I noticed that the overall stability of computer during heavy workload increased greatly, but did not completely solve the problem, but it might for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt00C-HXFbA

FINALLY, this is what fixed it 100000% percent for me. In may case it was a driver issue. Both 320.18 and 320.49 would cause the previous display error no matter how many times I uninstalled and installed again. The problem is that the older (more stable) nvidia drives will not install on the GTX 780 for whatever reason. So what's the solution? You need to edit one of the installation files (.inf) so that it allows you to pass the first step. I know this sounds intimidating but this guy explains it VERY well and it's only 3 simple steps:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I hope this helps at least one person out! :-)

I used this last method to roll back to 314.22
10 answers Last reply
More about fixed gtx 780 display driver stopped responding recovered
  1. amarksman said:
    READ THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL SOLUTIONS:

    Hi everyone, I'm posting this in hopes of helping some of you out with the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem, specifically with the Nvidia gtx 780 card. It took about 2 months to find this solution. During heavy workload, my monitor would shut off for a few seconds, and when it recovered it would display that message then crash a few minutes later, and sometimes also a 0x000000C5 BSOD.

    Before doing this method, try these first:
    -uninstall graphics driver, remove registries, then do a clean install
    -set the power options in windows to Performance (no monitor sleep, no hardrive sleep, etc)
    -settings in Nvidia control panel to Performance, instead of Adaptive.

    Finally... these next TWO are the less common but possibly more effective solutions.

    After following this, I noticed that the overall stability of computer during heavy workload increased greatly, but did not completely solve the problem, but it might for you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt00C-HXFbA

    FINALLY, this is what fixed it 100000% percent for me. In may case it was a driver issue. Both 320.18 and 320.49 would cause the previous display error no matter how many times I uninstalled and installed again. The problem is that the older (more stable) nvidia drives will not install on the GTX 780 for whatever reason. So what's the solution? You need to edit one of the installation files (.inf) so that it allows you to pass the first step. I know this sounds intimidating but this guy explains it VERY well and it's only 3 simple steps:

    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

    If you have any questions feel free to ask.

    I hope this helps at least one person out! :-)


    Which driver did you roll back to?
  2. NYURDRMS said:
    amarksman said:
    READ THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL SOLUTIONS:

    Hi everyone, I'm posting this in hopes of helping some of you out with the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem, specifically with the Nvidia gtx 780 card. It took about 2 months to find this solution. During heavy workload, my monitor would shut off for a few seconds, and when it recovered it would display that message then crash a few minutes later, and sometimes also a 0x000000C5 BSOD.

    Before doing this method, try these first:
    -uninstall graphics driver, remove registries, then do a clean install
    -set the power options in windows to Performance (no monitor sleep, no hardrive sleep, etc)
    -settings in Nvidia control panel to Performance, instead of Adaptive.

    Finally... these next TWO are the less common but possibly more effective solutions.

    After following this, I noticed that the overall stability of computer during heavy workload increased greatly, but did not completely solve the problem, but it might for you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt00C-HXFbA

    FINALLY, this is what fixed it 100000% percent for me. In may case it was a driver issue. Both 320.18 and 320.49 would cause the previous display error no matter how many times I uninstalled and installed again. The problem is that the older (more stable) nvidia drives will not install on the GTX 780 for whatever reason. So what's the solution? You need to edit one of the installation files (.inf) so that it allows you to pass the first step. I know this sounds intimidating but this guy explains it VERY well and it's only 3 simple steps:

    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

    If you have any questions feel free to ask.

    I hope this helps at least one person out! :-)


    Which driver did you roll back to?




    Oops! I forgot to mention that! I rolled back to 314.22. Never had any problems again.
  3. I have edited 314.22 many times but cannot get pny gtx-780 to say the hardware is compatible......can someone help.... thankx read all the posts but after I edit the inf a million times it gives me the same problem!
  4. madden2013 said:
    I have edited 314.22 many times but cannot get pny gtx-780 to say the hardware is compatible......can someone help.... thankx read all the posts but after I edit the inf a million times it gives me the same problem!


    Did u do clean driver uninstall ... I just did this method and rolled back to 314.22 and now my rig is stable ..use to crash all the time with display driver error and now it stopped thanks to this post. Do clean driver uninstall with DDU (display driver uninstall) and do a clean install of ur new driver following the method above.
  5. I just bought a brand new Asus G750JH (i7 quadcore, 32Gb Ram, 256Gb SSD+750Gb SATA) equipped with GTX 780m.

    I have gone through +10 reinstalls in various environments: Win 8.1, Win 8 and now Win 7. As for drivers, I have tried everthing from the latest 331.82 to 327.23 and, as seen on various websites now i'm down to a modified inf file for 314.22.

    I performed all the Registry edits, i've done all the performance power settings ... however, invariably, after a few minutes, if not seconds, from boot, I get the driver stopped responding. And I could live with it if it was just once but it happens randomly all the time, be it in a game or in Chrome browsing for help. In fact, it has happened already 3 times since I started posting this.

    I've updated my laptop BIOS to latest firmware... I've done everything ... It's just too much and with the ton of money I have spent on this laptop i feel very close to throwing it away.

    Does anybody have any idea how to fix this before I go completely nuts?
  6. Hello amarksman,
    I'm having the exact same issue with my Geforce GTX 780 graphics card. I seen were you rolled back your video driver to 314.22. I have been trying to use driver version "331.82-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql"

    I havent tried the 3 step modification yet, but my question is should i use the latest Geforce driver or should I use the older 314.22 driver and if I get a pop up asking me to update my video driver should I not do this?

    Thanks,
  7. I have had this annoying problem and on my new build and it's driving me crazy - have tried all the above methods apart from the last two - out of curiosity will the 314.22 driver work on a GTX 770 4GB Windows 8.1? I don't know where to find the driver :(

    Cheers guys

    EDIT: Also - is this not a problem with the GPU itself? Shouldn't we be able to use the latest drivers? Will we have to stay on such an old driver or do you expect it will eventually be fixed?
  8. Hello vyper91,

    I also have used every EVGA driver for my GTX 780 video card (oldest to the newest) and I get the same error/result every time i reboot the pc.
    I could never get the 314.22 driver to work either after doing the modifications to the driver as some folks have been successful at doing.

    I have done alot of research online about this issue & I also contacted EVGA about this issue & they had me to update the drivers, update BIOS, try another video card, & check the +12 voltages coming off the power supply to the video card to make sure its reading the correct voltages.

    Finally, EVGA tech support set me up for a RMA to send the card back for a replacement. I haven't got the replacement card back yet to see if that fixed my issue. I also went ahead & purchased another motherboard to see if this would help.

    The old motherboard that I was trying to run this card in was a Dell Optiplex 7010 board, I don't know if this was part of my issue, so to rule this out I decided to try another MOBO.

    When I get the replacement card from EVGA and the new motherboard in I will post back to let you know if this fixed my issue, if it don't Im going to be one unhappy customer.

    Thanks,
  9. fanelu2803 said:
    I just bought a brand new Asus G750JH (i7 quadcore, 32Gb Ram, 256Gb SSD+750Gb SATA) equipped with GTX 780m.

    I have gone through +10 reinstalls in various environments: Win 8.1, Win 8 and now Win 7. As for drivers, I have tried everthing from the latest 331.82 to 327.23 and, as seen on various websites now i'm down to a modified inf file for 314.22.

    I performed all the Registry edits, i've done all the performance power settings ... however, invariably, after a few minutes, if not seconds, from boot, I get the driver stopped responding. And I could live with it if it was just once but it happens randomly all the time, be it in a game or in Chrome browsing for help. In fact, it has happened already 3 times since I started posting this.

    I've updated my laptop BIOS to latest firmware... I've done everything ... It's just too much and with the ton of money I have spent on this laptop i feel very close to throwing it away.

    Does anybody have any idea how to fix this before I go completely nuts?


    Hi mate, I am in the exact same situation - Asus G750JH with 780m and video driver is randomly crashing in Windows (tested only 7 for now), however I found that in games it's mostly stable. Also I found that it's mostly an Aero issue of some sort (in Win 7 at least) - disabling Aero results in much less frequently video driver crashes (almost none for me).

    I also found that it's most likely conflict with Nvidia video driver and some other driver (Audio/LAN/WLAN/Bluetooth). When I am using default Windows Audio driver and have no LAN/WLAN/Bluetooth drivers I have no issues at all ... but then again no network capabilities is not acceptable nowadays.

    I will keep trying to work around this issue as I don't believe this is hardware issue, but actually a faulty driver or combination of working drivers that are acting up in combination ... it's that or faulty hardware.
  10. amarksman said:
    READ THIS ENTIRE POST BECAUSE THERE ARE SEVERAL SOLUTIONS:

    Hi everyone, I'm posting this in hopes of helping some of you out with the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" problem, specifically with the Nvidia gtx 780 card. It took about 2 months to find this solution. During heavy workload, my monitor would shut off for a few seconds, and when it recovered it would display that message then crash a few minutes later, and sometimes also a 0x000000C5 BSOD.

    Before doing this method, try these first:
    -uninstall graphics driver, remove registries, then do a clean install
    -set the power options in windows to Performance (no monitor sleep, no hardrive sleep, etc)
    -settings in Nvidia control panel to Performance, instead of Adaptive.

    Finally... these next TWO are the less common but possibly more effective solutions.

    After following this, I noticed that the overall stability of computer during heavy workload increased greatly, but did not completely solve the problem, but it might for you.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt00C-HXFbA

    FINALLY, this is what fixed it 100000% percent for me. In may case it was a driver issue. Both 320.18 and 320.49 would cause the previous display error no matter how many times I uninstalled and installed again. The problem is that the older (more stable) nvidia drives will not install on the GTX 780 for whatever reason. So what's the solution? You need to edit one of the installation files (.inf) so that it allows you to pass the first step. I know this sounds intimidating but this guy explains it VERY well and it's only 3 simple steps:

    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377158

    If you have any questions feel free to ask.

    I hope this helps at least one person out! :-)

    I used this last method to roll back to 314.22


    Unfortunately, I got nowhere with this solution. First of all, in Step 1, I couldn't find any of the .inf files you mentioned in that step, either in the latest driver or 314.07. The closest one was nv_disp.inf, which did seem to be the right one but who knows, right? Second, Step 2 worked fine except there are two lines for the GTX 660 that was found in the pastebin link and copied, and they already existed in the inf file. And third, in Step 3, none of the titles of the sections for any of the OS's was found in the inf file to be modded. Could you email me at canasia_us@yahoo.com Gord
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Driver Graphics Error Message Nvidia Gtx GPUs Blue Screen Displays