Monitor says 'no signal' if Graphics card is plugged in

TomLibertini

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
So after alot of questions asked on here I eventually bought the parts and built my PC..

It all went well until I turned it on, it didn't my give my monitor signal.. I have a HDMI cable plugged into the MOBO and the other end into my TV... I then removed the GPU and it turned on straight away.. So I installed windows and thought maybe windows will install the drivers. Nothing happened 'no Internet on the PC yet'

I plugged the GPU back in and it gave the monitor no signal again? So took it out and that's how it is left now working but unable to actually play games.. My luck...

I have a few suggestions myself but am stumped as to how to get round to doing them

1. install the HDMI directly to the GPU? I mean that totally loses me...
2. Set the PCI-E to the primary on my BIOS, but cannot find this option

SPECS;
600w corsair 2013 quiet fan
I5-4670K haswell
Asus Z87-K
MSI GTX 760 twin frozr OC (just game apperently....)
8gb (2x4) corsair DDR3 ram 1600mhz

That's all that's needed I think.

PLEASE HELP as I really just want to hop on the thing and play games!
Cheers

Solution

HDMI (or DVI) cable directly from the GPU to the monitor. Nothing from the MB to the GPU or monitor.
As far as the BIOS...what options does it give you for graphics choices?
For my Gigabyte, there are multiple choices as to how you want it to work.

USAFRet

Titan
I have a HDMI cable plugged into the MOBO and the other end into my TV... I then removed the GPU and it turned on straight away.
I plugged the GPU back in and it gave the monitor no signal again?
1. install the HDMI directly to the GPU? I mean that totally loses me...

In your BIOS, there is a setting to turn OFF the onboard graphics if there is a GPU installed.
Yes...you're supposed to connect the monitor to the GPU. That's what it is there for.

TomLibertini

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

First thanks for the quick reply secondly if my GPU is installed I cannot get to my BIOS settings

To connect my GPU to my monitor do I put a HDMI cable from the GPU to the monitor and if so do I need another cable for my motherboard to my monitor?

USAFRet

Titan

HDMI (or DVI) cable directly from the GPU to the monitor. Nothing from the MB to the GPU or monitor.
As far as the BIOS...what options does it give you for graphics choices?
For my Gigabyte, there are multiple choices as to how you want it to work.

Solution

TomLibertini

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

That's for clearing the wiring up I'll try that out next when I calm down a little with the machine haha

I can't see any graphical options in my BIOS, I can pull up boot menu and I've looked in advanced and can only find OC fan speeds ect

roji90

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

may i know what model is your gpu and what is the power of your psu?