uninstalling ubuntu from windows 8

babeldude

Honorable
Sep 7, 2013
I dualbooted ubuntu a while back and i now want to uninstall it. I installed it using the install alongside windows option. I have windows 8 and it came preinstalled on my computer so i dont have a windows installation disk. I mention that because some people say to delete the partition and then repair the boot with the windows installation disk, but i dont know what partition ubuntu is in and i dont have the disk.

Thank you for your help

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Make a recovery cd from windows, it's good to have just in case, search help in windows for how.

If the GRUB bootloader, the page that lets you select operating system that ubuntu installed, is working the first thing you then want to do is boot windows in repair mode. I don't have a win8 in front of me, imagine that on a linux board, but what you want to do is to fix the MBR or it may say to fix the startup. Since windows is working to get there you hold the shift key while selecting reboot in windows shutdown and you should get your options for repair mode there.
The reason for this is to replace grub with the windows mbr. Once that is done you simply go to your partion manager in windows (search help partition) and reformat the ubuntu drive and the swap drive, they'll be the ones windows doesn't recognize.
Done.