Haswell 4770k vs intel 3770k for Video Editing/gaming

tybritton5

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Hello all,

After quite a bit of research on Tom'sHardware and elsewhere, this is the new system that I have come up with to build for extensive video editing and some limited - albeit demanding - gaming (i.e. modded Skyrim, etc).

From research: getting the UD5H will not benefit me enough to justify the greater cost; the 660ti should enable me to max out graphic's setting [on Skyrim]; the TX750 will be good for power; the 256SSD will be plenty fast; 16GB RAM will also be plenty [with option to upgrade].

CPU: Haswell i7-4770k
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengance 1600 mhz DPR3
GPU: EVGA gtx 660 ti power edition
CASE: Corshair carbine 500R
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256
HD: 2tb Seagate Barracuda 7200
OPT: Asus black bluray drive
PSU: Corshair TX750
GPU COOL: Corshair H100i

From what I have read, the Haswell 4770k may be slightly preferable to the Intel 3770k for overclocking, considerig my needs; does anyone have any input as to whether the Haswell is indeed the better choice for me?

Secondly, will the 500R case hose everything with adequate room?

Finally, I have seen "case fans" and "thermal compuond" as part of similar build's hardware: are these items that I will need to keep the system adequately cool while OCing - i.e. below 70c?

Any other recommendations and/or input are of course appreciated

Thank you all for your time an input!

BSim500

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Haswell's are around 10% faster, but many find Ivy Bridge's to overclock 10% better (or at least run much cooler when overclocked). i7's are better for heavy video editing, however, one option to consider for heavy gaming, is to just get an i5 3570k/4670k and the next GFX card up (GTX 670?). Beyond a certain CPU baseline, heavy games are still all about GPU power.

That's a nice looking case - should easily house everything. Yes, you'll need thermal compound - doesn't have to be expensive though, I use MX-4. The case you've chosen looks like it includes a 200mm side panel fan, two front-mounted 120mm fans, and one rear 120mm fan - I doubt you'd need more than that (top-end Intel's use almost 100w less than top-end AMD's (FX8350)). Excellent choice for SSD by the way.

Edit: As for Skyrim specifically, it's not that demanding:-
http://www.techspot.com/review/467-skyrim-performance/page7.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

Make sure you get a GFX card with at least 2GB VRAM though as heavy Skyrim mods use more than 1GB. Also future proofing for games.

tybritton5

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

BSim500,

Thank you for the information and recommendations. Pretty much answered all my questions/gave me the information I need to confirm my decisions. I'll stick with the faster Haswell, as the video editing is more important to me than gaming. However maybe it's worth the extra few dollars to upgrade to a 670 anyway as it might carry me further into the future....

Thanks for the info on thermal compound and case, as well as condoning the SSD (as there doesn't seem to be as fixed an opinion on this matter).

I feel great about the new build, can't wait to use it!

Thank you,
Tyler