Question about Graphics Card and Power Supply

moranl12

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I have a question...
So i watched a video on a 400$ gaming PC build and in it was a XFX Radeon 7770 and a power supply that delivered 430W when i went to look for the graphics card on newegg it said i should have a power supply with a minimum of 450W. The guy in the video definetely looked like he knew what he was talking about and i just wanted to know if the 430W power supply would work with the graphics card or do i have to upgrade it to a 500W?
Sorry if this may be a stupid question but i pretty knew to all this PC stuff

Oh and also im using these parts in a gaming computer

Heres the video link if you want to watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f6INgYBmGo

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
You don't HAVE to upgrade the power supply, however it is HIGHLY recommended that you do so. The graphics card itself uses less than 200W. The only reason that they suggest you to use a 450W power supply is to have room to power all your other components as well.
Personally, I would highly recommend the upgrade for 3 reasons:
1) Building a system and then having the power supply not be able to power it is AWFUL. Just means you have to pay more money and wait longer to have it replaced.
2) A 500W PSU is only a few dollars more than a 430W one, well worth the difference for the added security
3) If you ever get a more powerful card, you will DEFINITELY need more than 430W to run safely.
Overall, it is just a better idea to spend a little more now on a better power supply than to end up having to buy 2 supplies.

You can run a 7770 on a 430 watt power supply. It can even run on a 350 watt one.

But as in the above post, you are better off spending another $10 on a larger power supply so you don't have to worry about any future upgrades or stressing the power supply all the time.

moranl12

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Thank you guys for all your help. I am definetley going to get the 500W now that you said that. Thank you agian!